VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had this "game" idea for a long time that I think needs to get made. I could do it in modern Unity or Unreal, but would love to support retro systems if I can. Something portable on an SDL1 backend would be nice, as that would open up things like Xbox or Dreamcast homebrew, but that's a pipe dream... I'd just want Linux and Win9x for now.

What I'm thinking is a lot more open-world than typical FPS-type gameplay with closed-box "rooms", so I don't think trying to bodge Unreal Engine 1 or Quake 2 with their scripting languages would cut it. I guess Quake 2 is open source but I really don't have the coding chops to dismantle it (edit: I also don't think BSP-type mapping would be suitable for what I want to do.)

Wondering what's out there? Have any of you played around with something like this?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

I'd just want Linux and Win9x for now.

Unfortunately in open source spaces you'll get sky high demands and claims from the Linux crowd, the inevitable:

- Use SDL2, SDL1 is too outdated and insecure!!! SDL2 can Wayland the future of Linux on the Desktop
- C11+ "Modern code"!!!
- Use latest GCC!!! 4.7.x TOO insecure and crusty. We need threading
- Windows support is holding it back!!! Delete Windows Noone cares about Old Windoze
- Please switch your engine to *whatever im obsessed with that just had a release* so it can look good and represent true Linux gaming

I faced all of these for my Win9x/Linux game project and ignored them 😐

and as for Dreamcast, good luck convincing them that 16mb for the system is a very hard limit and PowerVR2 isn't a super GPU. There's KallistOS and a special OpenGL library, and i've pondered about going for that platform, but it's the RAM and the scene is a bit questionable regarding legality (bootleg half-life piracy, for example)....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Amiga sdl1 ports may be a possible source for that OS, although the memory limit is very low. Perhaps an older doom source port would work, such as an earlier zdoom version which is dependent on sdl1 for the software renderer and audio with an option for opengl rendering. It should be tested first in x86 with the memory limit and no swap file.