VOGONS

First post, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. Last week I've downloaded some Master/Multimedia CDs for Packard Bell computers, but during restoration I got this message: "A valid script file name was not found. Please ensure that the Packard Bell Master CD is installed in the CD-ROM drive then enter a password to continue with the restoration." What kind of script file is required? And where can I get password since PB support is ended long time ago?
Version of Master CD is 170181, Recovery floppy - 141889.

Attachments

• Password.png
    Filename
    Password.png
    File size
    8.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to this page Another Packard Bell Site - Format & Restore you might need to run a command if prompted for a password.

A:\CDROM.EXE UNLOCK

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 2, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:
According to this page Another Packard Bell Site - Format & Restore you might need to run a command if prompted for a password. […]
Show full quote

According to this page Another Packard Bell Site - Format & Restore you might need to run a command if prompted for a password.

A:\CDROM.EXE UNLOCK

It doesn't help by very simple reason: there's no CDROM.EXE on early Packard Bell restore floppies. On Master CDs dated mid-1994 and later it's much easier: when program prompted HDD format number, you've supposed to enter one of combinations you can find on CDROM:\BU\A\ folder. But with earlier Windows 3.1 Master CDs situation is well complicated: program even with swapped CD-ROM driver can't find script file you have no idea, and there's no way to get password to continue restoration.