VOGONS

First post, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm doing a big project in which part of it involves communication between my new PC, my old PC, and my custom hardware connected to my old PC via serial port (RS232). I tried Linux but it didn't work. Then I must try DOS because it's real-time.

I did manage to get my network card up and running in pure DOS.

I tried mTCP HTTP server, but it does not take any special actions on CGI scripts. Instead, it offers them as downloadable files. but the mTCP package did come with its own DHCP client which managed to detect my IP as well as my router IP.

I also tried JNOS 1.1f HTTP server but I get same results there.

The only one left which I struggle to get to work (thanks to lock-ups) is SIOUX. But it's the only one I know of that comes with CGI support.

I loaded the NTCPDRV with my PC ip address and tested things with PING2 (both included in package) and PING2 did correctly guess the ip of the domain I put in and every second I hear a tick sound and I could exit.

SIOUX on the other hand is a strange beast. It refuses to start without NTCPDRV utility properly loaded. When I did load the driver, I did get the blue screen as advertised in its screenshots on its site, but the program does absolutely nothing. I then proceed to make normal requests through my browser on another computer connected to the same router and SIOUX still does absolutely nothing when it should print the request on screen.

In all my tests, the exact same router was used and each computer was assigned one IP address through DHCP and the lease is one day long so I can't blame my issue on IP addresses especially when I can make the other two HTTP servers deliver HTML pages on request.

This is where I downloaded the server from: http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/

I contacted him for assistance and he offered no further assistance from what I already tried. I even disable the internal feature which makes the server connect to dyndns.org but that still didn't help.

For clarity, I was running the whole server on a 32MB ram drive with write permissions.

So does anyone know how to get SIOUX working without it locking up?