...and the solution to post-Rosetta (OS X 10.7 onwards) Macs is to us the original PC-CD version of the game with WINE.
I tried the precompiled WINE 2.0 version from WineBottler and it works great with a few tweaks.
After installing the game and running the 1.16.1 patch, I had to perform the following tweaks to fix the interface lag and frame rate issues:
Double click WINE from your Applications folder, if it's not already running, then proceed with the following:
1) From the menu-bar on the top of the screen, choose Configuration. From the Configuration-window, select the Applications-tab and click on the 'Add application' button
2) Navigate to StarCraft.exe and add it to the list of applications with separate configuration options:
3) Now, make sure you're editing the settings for StarCraft.exe and move to the Graphics-tab. De-select 'Allow the window manager to control the windows' setting:
4) After saving the settings, we need to open the Registry Editor from the WINE-menu at the top-right corner of the screen, as the remaining tweaks can't be accessed via the GUI:
5) Navigate to the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\StarCraft.exe using the pane on the left side of the Registry Editor. Then, create a new key underneath StarCraft.exe named Direct3D.
Inside the Direct3D-key, you need to create three new String values called DirectDrawRenderer, OffScreenRendering, and RenderTargetLockMode.
After creating the String values, right-click each and choose 'Modify' from the submenu to give them these values:
gdi (DirectDrawRenderer), fbo (OffScreenRendering), readtex (RenderTargetLockMode).
After this, your copy of StarCraft / BroodWar will run glitch-free and smoothly and you can LAN-play with original hardware all the way down to first-gen Pentiums. 😎
 Precompiled WINE 2.0 package
 Windows versions of the 1.16.1 patch:
StarCraft 1.16.1 patch for Windows 95/98/2K/XP/Vista/7
StarCraft BroodWar 1.16.1 patch for Windows 95/98/2K/XP/Vista/7
 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ho ... t-18233526
My retro rigs
Methuselah, AMD K6-III+ 400 MHz, Voodoo 3 PCI, etc...
Longbottom, Pentium III 1 GHz, RivaTNT 2, Aureal Vortex 2 etc...