VOGONS


First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

When I launch the SETMUSE in order to set the music, I get the following choices:

Soundscap MIDI
Adlib
4-OP FM
General MIDI
Roland
None

When I choose General MIDI, or Roland, the game simply loads no music files.

If I choose *detect*, nothing happens when either of the two are selected.

If I choose *test music*, it freezes my PC.

My System specs:
PIII-800E
Abit BH-6
512MB SD-RAM PC100
AWE64 Gold
Windows 98SE
(but I am using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option to play the launch the game from a DOS prompt)

Any help would be appreciated!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | Rage 128 Pro Video Card | 256MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 2X SanDisk (2004) 2GB CF as C:\ (Win98SE OS) and D:\ (DOS Games) | Windows 98SE (using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option)

Reply 2 of 5, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I suspected that as well. On my PIII-800, the SetMul does not seem to do anything. What are my other options for slowing down this system?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | Rage 128 Pro Video Card | 256MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 2X SanDisk (2004) 2GB CF as C:\ (Win98SE OS) and D:\ (DOS Games) | Windows 98SE (using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option)

Reply 3 of 5, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Well the INTEL chipset, although very stable and compatible, does not work well with either setmul or throttle. I tried, a long time before, using a via chipset slot one motherboard and, while the slow down utilities worked, the system became VERY slow. The same applies to socket 370. The best thing i did is that i found a VIA MVP3 chipset motherboard with agp (a bit buggy but works nice with voodoo 3 agp and geforce2 cards) and stuck an AMD K6-300 in. Throttle works wonders and setmul is doing a good job, while still on par with Pentium 2.

Reply 4 of 5, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

UPDATE:
I was able to run the system perfectly with using SetMUL L1D command, instead of using Phil's (Phil's Computer LAB) per-configured batch files (i.e. Slow, Slowest, etc.), and now the game works!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | Rage 128 Pro Video Card | 256MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 2X SanDisk (2004) 2GB CF as C:\ (Win98SE OS) and D:\ (DOS Games) | Windows 98SE (using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option)