VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I am using my original CD in my system,, and although the games works under pure DOS, the speech plays and cuts off immediately).

If I play it under Windows 98SE, the speech issue is resolved, but I really love to play this game under DOS, with my MUNT feeding the MT-32 music off of my laptop to my real AWE64.

My System specs:
PIII-800E (using SetMUL have disabled L1 cache)
Abit BH-6
512MB SD-RAM PC100
AWE64 Gold

Windows 98SE (but I am using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option to play the launch the game from a DOS prompt)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | Rage 128 Pro Video Card | 256MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 2X SanDisk (2004) 2GB CF as C:\ (Win98SE OS) and D:\ (DOS Games) | Windows 98SE (using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option)

Reply 1 of 9, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many times 512mb of memory is not handled well in dos. Try using DEVICE=c:\xxx\himemx.exe /max=8194 instead of himem.sys.
You can find it in freedos or here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/

Reply 2 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just removed a stick of 256MB, so I am down to 256MB RAM total, the speech issue still remains.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | Rage 128 Pro Video Card | 256MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 2X SanDisk (2004) 2GB CF as C:\ (Win98SE OS) and D:\ (DOS Games) | Windows 98SE (using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option)

Reply 3 of 9, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

I just removed a stick of 256MB, so I am down to 256MB RAM total, the speech issue still remains.

Still too high for dos! Use the himemx and force 8mb of ram, see if it works.

Reply 4 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just downloded himemx, how do I use it in DOS, just copy over the files, and run the .EXE?

Reply 5 of 9, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

I just downloded himemx, how do I use it in DOS, just copy over the files, and run the .EXE?

Copy himemx.exe to the root of your c:
Edit config.sys
Find the line DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS OR C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Put the word REM before DEVICE=
So you should have REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Directly below that line write DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194
So the lines should be
REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194

Reply 6 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are a genius! It works!

Now, what I did was that I created a boot floppy diskette, copied my c: drive's config.sys and auto.exe bat to it, and THEN modified the config.sys!

I am going to try other DOS games that I was unable to play, hopefully I can get them all to play!

Thanks a million again!

Reply 7 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem is that some DOS games start to behave odd when there's more than 16 MB of memory. Syndicate and Hi-Octane are two other examples. And HIMEM.SYS does not allow to restrict the amount of memory if you have more.

http://retro-net.de/blog.html

Reply 8 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

aww yes... btw if you want to further optimize your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS feel free to share it

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 9, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:
You are a genius! It works! […]
Show full quote

You are a genius! It works!

Now, what I did was that I created a boot floppy diskette, copied my c: drive's config.sys and auto.exe bat to it, and THEN modified the config.sys!

I am going to try other DOS games that I was unable to play, hopefully I can get them all to play!

Thanks a million again!

Glad it worked for you. You are very welcome. HOF is my favorite of the three.