VOGONS

First post, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot get it to work but several places list A3D as supported in Diablo II so I thought I would ask here.

On the SOUND OPTIONS screen, I see these 2 options:

- 3D Sound = OFF
- Environmental Effects = OFF

and they are NOT greyed out (which is a good sign). When I click on either of those though, it does exactly nothing, it still shows OFF no matter how many times I click on it.

I have tried Diablo 2, Diablo 2 LOD, and Diablo 2 LOD patched. Both DirectDraw and D3D rendering. All showing the same symptoms. Otherwise A3D works just fine for me in other games and the official A3D demos.

Basic specs:
Windows 98SE
Geforce 7950 GT, driver version 82.69 (modded)
Aureal Vortex 2 (AU8830 B0AAAA 9951-MB213), driver version 4.06.2048

Has anyone here actually gotten A3D to work in Diablo II?

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 1 of 6, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, after downgrading Aureal drivers from version 2048 to 2041 I am now able to activate 3D Sound and adjust 3D Bias. Unfortunately Environmental Effects are now greyed out. I am not sure what exactly this feature does but I think it needs a true EAX card.

If you are wondering how D2 sounds now, it does sound a little bit different - slightly softer and natural and voice dialogs sound slightly more flat. Positional audio might be slightly better but its not very noticeable since this is a birds eye view type of game.
So I wouldnt say A3D is a clear improvement compared to regular sound or EAX. I think I will probably stick with EAX for Diablo II.

Side note: The 2041 driver that is supposed to fix the "Your Vortex adapter is not plugged into the primary PCI bus" error message causes noise coming from headphones. Using the regular 2041 driver does not do that. You can get all those drivers from Phils site here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html

Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 4 of 6, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys.

2048 EAX kinda worked but I was not able to activate it in Red Faction for example. I also noticed 2048 had a ton of audio bugs in various games, voice dialogs too quiet, weirdly mixed, or cut too soon (Half-life), etc.

I think I will keep the Vortex2 card but only use it with the 2041 drivers and a handful of games where I think it is actually fun (mostly FPS games or some older games without EAX support). A3D (even with 2041) also drops my GTA3 from 200-300FPS to about 30FPS when there is too many sounds (cars honking, etc) - if I switch to other audio types this does not happen.

Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 5 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The number of EAX games that won't run in windows XP is pretty small. The Aureal vortex 2 is neat, and a good card for the time, but the sound quality on an audigy 2 or later is just a lot better.

Reply 6 of 6, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After further looking into it, this is what the game log shows regarding audio:

---------------
Initializing sound engine...
Driver: Aureal - Vortex DirectSound Driver
Module: AU30WAVE.VXD
....DirectSound progress: Unsupported EAX or EAX emulation
DirectSound3D initialized
Hardware 3D buffers : 76
---------------

So what I am hearing through the Vortex 2 card here is not A3D after all but DirectSound3D. There is a noticeable difference between having the "3D Sound" option ON/OFF, so perhaps it is a difference between DirectSound and DirectSound3D? Moral of the story - just because an option says "3D Sound", its not necessarily A3D or EAX 🤣

Screenshots
10Hz FM