*nix software and systems

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-22, 04:59:

A bit of reminiscing today. Popped over to Uncreative Labs to have a look at an old thread of mine from 2008. http://uncreativelabs.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph … highlight=linux

Boy things have moved along a lot since then. That system is dead now but I do has a similar form factor Compaq P75 system to take over from it.

It's interesting how many posters on that forum ended up here, almost feels like there was an exodus or something..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 43, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-22, 07:03:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-22, 04:59:

A bit of reminiscing today. Popped over to Uncreative Labs to have a look at an old thread of mine from 2008. http://uncreativelabs.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph … highlight=linux

Boy things have moved along a lot since then. That system is dead now but I do has a similar form factor Compaq P75 system to take over from it.

It's interesting how many posters on that forum ended up here, almost feels like there was an exodus or something..

A few over at the vcfed forums as well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.

Reply 42 of 43, by darry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-22, 07:02:
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 05:14:

I boot Lubuntu from CD when I need something modern on my main retro rig (Pentium 3). Mainly used it for fdisk and mkfs.vfat . Impressive that it runs a GUI on 512MB of RAM with no swap .

I use Puppy Linux 4.1.2 Retro for that, it's a million times faster and works on even 64MB systems with a GUI.

Thanks, I'll give that a try .

Reply 43 of 43, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day, around 1993-1994 at college, I tinkered with linux via 1.44mb floppy disks, Not too many, and had a fat book. Linux on that LTE 386s/20 I had got prompt going, then set up X and ran it. I got far as I got to grey screen with "X" for an cursor that does not move. Years later, I didn't realize I succeeded, but didn't know since the book ended at the setting up windows X (forgot the name). And needed desk top manager and all the goodies to install and setup were needed and book did no have that. Oh well.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.