VOGONS

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys. I've downloaded a few old Java games I used to play... Javanoid and Jet Slalom. Nabbing them was a bit of work, going through .class files and then .jars and .javas etc. finding directories for websites to download other resources for the games (images, sounds, data/text files).

Anyways I was able to get them to work in 2 ways - JRE + an HTML file to run them offline... or JDK via appletviewer. Example -- for Javanoid, my HTML file is just one line of

<applet CODE="javanoid.class" WIDTH="410" HEIGHT="310"></applet>

The HTML file resides in a folder with the rest of the resources for the game... .class, .dat, .gif, .txt, .au files. I've also installed the JDK on my VMs/86box/PCem emulators and XP rig. After adding the jdk/bin directory to the PATH of each OS, I've created simple .bat files which consist of:

appletviewer.exe \javanoid\javanoid.htm

For Windows 95 and NT4 you want:

JRE: j2re-1_3_1_20-windows-i586.exe
JDK: j2sdk-1_3_1_20-windows-i586.exe

For Windows 98 + Me (98 1st and 2nd editions):

JRE: jre-1_5_0_16-windows-i586-p.exe
JDK: jdk-1_5_0_16-windows-i586-p.exe

The one I am using is j2sdk-1_4_2_03-windows-i586-p.exe

For Windows 2000, Server 2003, and XP:

JRE: jre-7u80-windows-i586.exe
JDK: jdk-7u80-windows-i586.exe

The one I am using is jdk-6u45-windows-i586.exe

Hope this is helpful. I can share the game files if you wish. Hoping other people will preserve other Java games for offline use.

r45x2Izl.png

GD4PcdVl.png

offline browser via JRE

5IGROMKl.png

offline via JDK

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 4, by KronkTheConq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, found your post by looking for Jet Slalom. I'm interested in the source/assets if you still have them around -- I'd like to reimplement the game or package it up for easier distribution. Thanks!

Reply 2 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One notable Java game that I remember playing as an applet was Wiz3. It's a 2D platformer featuring a wizard that needs to collect potions and stuff, and avoid baddies. The graphics and sound are surprisingly good. The game has a cosy retro arcade vibe.

More info about the game and a download link to the JAR file (which allows you to run it locally) can be found at http://eaborn.com/wiz3/wiz3web.html

NOTE: it is recommended to run the JAR file in a VM or in another sandbox such as x11docker, since it could since have been replaced by a trojan or some other malware. Of course, the same warning applies to any EXE file that one would randomly download from the Internet.

Reply 3 of 4, by tobicheckers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KronkTheConq wrote on 2023-01-14, 19:38:

Hey, found your post by looking for Jet Slalom. I'm interested in the source/assets if you still have them around -- I'd like to reimplement the game or package it up for easier distribution. Thanks!

Were you ever able to get Jet Slalom. I have been searching all over trying to find an original version (not the webgl or android remakes)

Reply 4 of 4, by limitedreality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tobicheckers wrote on 2023-07-06, 23:18:
KronkTheConq wrote on 2023-01-14, 19:38:

Were you ever able to get Jet Slalom. I have been searching all over trying to find an original version (not the webgl or android remakes)

Same. I'd love to get this up an running again. If anyone finds it, please let me know.