VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if this is the correct to post this, but could not find appropriate place, as others deal games trouble with dosbox.
Chose this because of what I think may be the problem, and it is hardware related.

Got my 486 DX4-100 up and running, and when trying to install Tie fighter collector cd-rom version (original, bought back in the day)
I can't choose min, med, full install, they are greyed out.
If I click on one of them, I get an error complaining that it must be installed from a cd-rom drive, and not a hdd.

The thing is that I am installing it directly from a cd-rom drive.

It is a 38x speed from Creative, and I could install X-wing collectors edition just fine with it.
Together with other games including doom2, Dark Forces.....
Only thing I can come up with, is that as it is a 38x, copy protection software thinks it is a hdd.

Anyone with a solution, or could point me to one.
Tried google, but what I found was pretty much dosbox, or winX related.

I could of course try to find a slower cd-drive, but think I have used a DVD drive before with no issue.

Reply 1 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to remember some LucasArts games not wanting to install to any drive letter except C:. By any chance did you pick a different drive letter before you got to the install size option?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could also try copying the CD to HDD and using FakeCD to emulate the CD-ROM - maybe that would trick the installer into stop being a jerk and do what it’s supposed to do! It’s a lame attempt at copy protection I suppose.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe tell us a bit more about your system setup. Operating system, drivers loaded, etc.?
What other hardware have you got installed in your system?

Reply 4 of 10, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The drive letter of the CDRom drive shouldnt be too high (I dont remember the exact letter). But assuming you get it installed (from D: to C:, for example), afterwards you're free to go.

The Collector's CDROM edition does create a TIE.CD file on the drive you install too. If you move the game afterwards to regardless where you just have to make sure that this file is located at the root directory of the drive you are running it from. Then you're golden.

Reply 5 of 10, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Only have a C drive, and as mentioned before, both Dark forces and X-wing installed no problem.

It's an Ibm Valuepoint 6482 with a Intel 486 DX4 100Mhz processor.
Integrated S3 graphics which I have upgraded from 1 to 2mb

Doesn't have any L2 cache, as I can't find correct chips to use.
Those I have tried have failed.

Is a Vlb/Isa system, and has a 3com 509 network card, that is not configured, but has a XT ide chip on it to run the 16gb SD card.
As bios won't recognice such a big drive. It has the latest bios update I could find.
Can't remeber name, but it is 81 something.

CD-rom connected as slave, and on second channel is a Zip 250 drive, that I load guest.exe when needed.
It is the D: drive.

There is a MPU-401 clone with a MT-32 connected to it for now, and a AWE 64 gold.

Tried a few different cd-drives, but XT-Ide would lock up when connecting them.
Mostly DVD drives, and 1 cd burner with a caddy.

After posting this, I also tried a good number of different games. All original, and all installed well, apart from Flying Corps.
It ask question if this is Flying Corps cd-rom, over abd over again, and had to shut it down to get past the error.
Looking again, its specs claim a P1 90MHz as minimum, so it's unlikely to work anyway.

I will look into FakeCD and see if that works.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but running Freedos 1.2 legacy with fat32 filesystem.

Don't get far enough to install anything, so don't tie.cd would be copied over yet.
It's a new install, so not moved anything from a previous install.

Reply 7 of 10, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried both possible solutions.

Install crashed when trying FakeCD both with oak and native cd driver.

Installing from cd-rom with oak, I get the the same errors.

One thing I noticed now, is that there is an uninstall option that cAn be clicked, so apparently installer think it is already installed.
It isn't, and I even searched for tie.cd on c: drive, and it is only found where I copied the tie cd-rom.

Reply 10 of 10, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried that, but as there is no folder with Tie fighter installed, it fails.

TIE.CD is present when I copied cd drive to hdd, to get FakeCD to work.
It is not an install, and it was the same behavior before I copied it over as well.

Will google about hidden folders, don't remember dos that well anymore.