MAR94HCL.txt
File size
118.72 KiB
Downloads
35 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 41 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bakemono wrote:

NTDETECT.COM never calls int 0x74. It does call int 0x11 and test bit 2. I wonder if that is the only issue preventing it from detecting the PS/2 mouse. PS2SUPPC also does a bunch of port I/O and I'm not sure if it is only for detection or if there are necessary steps for resetting/configuring the mouse as well.

I'm attaching a modified variant of PS2SUPPC which doesn't install an interrupt handler. Not sure if it will work but may be worth trying.

Thank you. I have tried PS2NOINT.COM in DOS and Windows NT4. Here is the result after trying to load a mouse driver with the PS/2 flag set. Mouse was not found.

PS2NOINT_DOS.jpg
Filename
PS2NOINT_DOS.jpg
File size
249.52 KiB
Views
File license

This is what it looks like if it works, that is, using PS2SUPPC.COM finds a PS/2 mouse

PS2SUPPC_DOS.jpg
Filename
PS2SUPPC_DOS.jpg
File size
248.49 KiB
Views
File license

I tried loading PS2NOINT.COM in my ntboot.bat file. The PS2NOINT.COM no longer conflicts with GRUB4DOS, but I am unable to see mouse movement in NT4, even after loading the Microsoft PS/2 port mouse driver. PS2NOINT.COM has some benefit though - I can leave the PS/2 mouse connected and not have the system hang up. Without PS2NOINT.COM, if I leave my PS/2 mouse connected and move the mouse, the system hangs.

PS2NOINT_NT4_cannot_find_ps2mouse_1.jpg
Filename
PS2NOINT_NT4_cannot_find_ps2mouse_1.jpg
File size
174.92 KiB
Views
File license
PS2NOINT_NT4_cannot_find_ps2mouse_2.jpg
Filename
PS2NOINT_NT4_cannot_find_ps2mouse_2.jpg
File size
196.83 KiB
Views
File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 75, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is starting to make sense now. NTDETECT test the int 11h flag, and then it tries int 15h function C2.

Maybe if the PS/2 mouse flag is clear, it assumes there is no mouse port. Moving the mouse causes unexpected data to arrive at the port and causes a hang (mouse and keyboard both use port $60, yes?)

If the flag is set but int 15h fails, then it assumes no mouse is connected?

Maybe a different sort of patch in NTDETECT would straighten it out. What is the date and size of your NTDETECT.COM?

Must be a crappy mobo then.

I'm under the impression that it is a board which didn't originally have any PS/2 port, but was modifed to add one.

Reply 43 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I don't use the /p flag, the mouse driver somehow finds the mouse on COM1 (for ps2noint.com only), even when there is no mouse connected.

NTDETECT.COM is 26,800 bytes in size with a date of October 14, 1996, 1:38:00 AM

Reply 44 of 75, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing I am curious about is why swap mice? All those OSs support serial mice from the get go.

Reply 46 of 75, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:

Serial mouses suck

Well that was insightful. The 1990 MS seral mice a very nice to use.

Reply 47 of 75, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

Serial mouses suck

Well that was insightful. The 1990 MS seral mice a very nice to use.

be honest with yourself, using a ball mouse is utterly miserable after using an optical one

Reply 48 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

One thing I am curious about is why swap mice? All those OSs support serial mice from the get go.

Because my desks are setup with a KVM that supports PS/2 mice. I don't like the inconvenience of having to pull out a serial mouse just for this one system and just when it boots NT.

The Logitech trackball Mouseman series I have has really nice tracking quality for a PS/2 and serial mouse. I don't really notice much difference between the PS/2 optical mouse and it. My issue is merely convenience. For others, it is wanting to use an optical mouse, but this is an entirely different topic that has been talked about repeatedly in other threads.

Reply 49 of 75, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny you mentioned optical mice. I've got my eye on a serial optical mouse as it so happens. Been up for grabs for a year now with no takers.

Reply 50 of 75, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

NTDETECT.COM is 26,800 bytes in size with a date of October 14, 1996, 1:38:00 AM

Try to patch these five bytes. It should cause NTDETECT to always detect a PS/2 mouse. I tested this on my NT4 laptop with (normally working) built-in PS/2 trackpad and it continued to work there at least.

Attachments

• ntdpatch.png
    Filename
    ntdpatch.png
    File size
    14.85 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 51 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alright. I have installed i.Hex and opened NTDETECT.COM and took away the "read-only" check box from file properties. Once I find your locations marked in red, I cannot figure out how to edit them. How do you edit these values?

Also, once they are patched, do you want me to still run PS2noint.com along with the edited NTDETECT.COM?

Reply 52 of 75, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of changing the file directly, I would recommend making a backup copy and then edit that one. Then you can swap the files as needed while you're in DOS, before starting GRUB. (That is, assuming your NT4 partition is accessible from DOS)

To edit the values you should be able to click on a hex code or use the arrow keys to move the cursor around in there, then just type "33" etc. If you can't do that, there may still be a problem with access permissions? Making a copy of NTDETECT.COM and opening that one should work then. i.Hex definitely works in NT4, I just tried it... unless it needs a certain service pack installed??

edit: as to your other question, I would try it with and without PS2NOINT, because I'm not sure if the mouse initialization step is important

Reply 53 of 75, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Try to patch these five bytes. It should cause NTDETECT to always detect a PS/2 mouse. I tested this on my NT4 laptop with (normally working) built-in PS/2 trackpad and it continued to work there at least.

what was the original content of said bytes? I ask because I'm interested in seeing if this could be ported to NT 3.51

Reply 54 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bakemono wrote:

Instead of changing the file directly, I would recommend making a backup copy and then edit that one. Then you can swap the files as needed while you're in DOS, before starting GRUB. (That is, assuming your NT4 partition is accessible from DOS)

To edit the values you should be able to click on a hex code or use the arrow keys to move the cursor around in there, then just type "33" etc. If you can't do that, there may still be a problem with access permissions? Making a copy of NTDETECT.COM and opening that one should work then. i.Hex definitely works in NT4, I just tried it... unless it needs a certain service pack installed??

edit: as to your other question, I would try it with and without PS2NOINT, because I'm not sure if the mouse initialization step is important

I already had a copy made of NTDETECT.COM that I was working on. I copied it over the network to my XP SP3 machine and downloaded i-Hex 0.98, which appears to be the latest version for x86. I highlighted the hex and tried to type over it (previously), but the values would not change. Perhaps I need to try this in NT4 if XP has some alternate protections on this type of file. - edit, prehaps its hidden... I'll check.

Reply 55 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you know how to unhide the this file in XP? It remains with a hidden check box that is greyed out (cannot edit).

Reply 56 of 75, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should be able to change the attributes in a cmd session.

Reply 57 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was able to unhide the file using NT4 sp1. The hidden box was not greyed out.

Testing new NTDETECT.com now...

Reply 58 of 75, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The patched NTDETECT.com file is all that is needed for PS/2 mouse support on my SXL2 system within NT4.0 and NT 3.51. I really appreciate your help here. I have put away the serial mouse.

There is a catch though, it doesn't work on NT4 when I've setup the CPU registers via cyrix.exe. The system hangs up on the blue screen. I can use the patched NTDETECT without running cyrix.exe, be it directly, or after loading GRUB4DOS.

On the bright side, I can not cyrix.exe (via GRUB4DOS) and use the patched NTDETECT.COM with NT 3.51. Between the two NT's, I prefer NT 3.51 to work properly on an SXL2-66 than NT4. NT4 isn't all that stable on the SXL, while NT 3.51 seems OK.

FYI, this is the ps/2 mouse add-on module I am working with:
Re: Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller
Re: Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-09-21, 04:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 75, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

The patched NTDETECT.com file is all that is needed for PS/2 mouse support on my SXL2 system within NT4.0 and NT 3.51. I really appreciate your help here. I have put away the serial mouse.

There is a catch though, it doesn't work on NT4 when I've setup the CPU registers via cyrix.exe. The system hangs up on the blue screen. I can use the patched NTDETECT without running cyrix.exe, be it directly, or after loading GRUB4DOS.

On the bright side, I can not cyrix.exe (via GRUB4DOS) and use the patched NTDETECT.COM with NT 3.51. Between the two NT's, I prefer NT 3.51 to work properly on an SXL2-66 than NT4. NT4 isn't all that stable on the SXL, while NT 3.51 seems OK.

That's really cool that the hex edit worked. I didn't quite follow your post though - did NT 3.51 and 4 both boot successfully after setting the registers in DOS if you use the stock NTDETECT.COM?