VOGONS

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Is it kinda normal to get these error messages in win98se?

Forget specifics as i cant show any screenshots right now.
Also im not that concerned really.

Are there any general settings/tweaks/tricks to get less of them?

Reply 1 of 18, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. Especially explorer.exe. Most of them are benign. I suspect mine are the NVidia drivers I use. My Win98SE system mainly serves as a 90s game console so I just ignore them. I could spend all day trying to track them all down, but why? As long as the games are stable, which they are in my case, I'm good. Maybe some ATI users have better luck?

Reply 2 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, that's normal for Win9x. Win Me or 2k are perhaps more stable in this regard, since they share some modern system files.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 18, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That most likely happens when a program tries to access memory that it has no access to. Or if a 16-bit piece of code runs crazy, since Win9x does not offer memory protection for 16-bit code.

Reply 5 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a feature.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

It's a feature.

nerdiest-joke-ever-volkswagon-bug-with-feature-vanity-plate-570x541.jpg
Filename
nerdiest-joke-ever-volkswagon-bug-with-feature-vanity-plate-570x541.jpg
File size
96.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 18, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Yes, that's normal for Win9x. Win Me or 2k are perhaps more stable in this regard, since they share some modern system files.

I had even worse experience with Windows Me. It often crashed to the point that the system couldn't even reach explorer.exe (with all kinds of such errors occurring right after the system started).

Windows 2000 is indeed stable, but some programs in question showed a different behavior, "xxx is not a valid Win32 application", and couldn't start at all. This also applies to all current Windows NT versions, and for that reason I was unable to ditch Windows 9x completely for a while.

It seems PE Explorer's website has some good explanation about this, and might be able to correct such issues so they can be run on modern NT-based systems...

Reply 9 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LSS10999 wrote:
I had even worse experience with Windows Me. It often crashed to the point that the system couldn't even reach explorer.exe (wit […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote:

I had even worse experience with Windows Me. It often crashed to the point that the system couldn't even reach explorer.exe (with all kinds of such errors occurring right after the system started).

Windows 2000 is indeed stable, but some programs in question showed a different behavior, "xxx is not a valid Win32 application", and couldn't start at all. This also applies to all current Windows NT versions, and for that reason I was unable to ditch Windows 9x completely for a while.

It seems PE Explorer's website has some good explanation about this, and might be able to correct such issues so they can be run on modern NT-based systems...

Sounds to me like something was horribly wrong with your system if it was crashing like that with ME.

I ran ME back in the day when it was new-ish and never had that kind of issue.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember when folks were saying XP was the ME of NT.

Reply 12 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This brings back memories of an older vogons thread: Windows Me - "Misunderstood Edition".

Caluser2000 wrote:

You mean the Teletubby OS, eh ? 😁
Makes me wonder why "Noo-Noo" didn't became the favourite mascot for XP.
I mean, both the colour and personality did fit nicely to good ol' XP, didn't it ? 😉

giphy.gif

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

Yeah, that's like me with Vista. Never had any of the issues so many people had with it. Nothing but a great experience for me.

Vista was fine after SP1. Before SP1 it had a horrible file transfer speed bug.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 18, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
You mean the Teletubby OS, eh ? :D Makes me wonder why "Noo-Noo" didn't became the favourite mascot for XP. I mean, both the col […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote:

You mean the Teletubby OS, eh ? 😁
Makes me wonder why "Noo-Noo" didn't became the favourite mascot for XP.
I mean, both the colour and personality did fit nicely to good ol' XP, didn't it ? 😉

giphy.gif

I always used XP with the classic skin because otherwise it was way too garish.

The only skin that was kinda easy on the eyes was included with XP Media Center Edition.

Reply 15 of 18, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Yeah, that's like me with Vista. Never had any of the issues so many people had with it. Nothing but a great experience for me.

Vista was fine after SP1. Before SP1 it had a horrible file transfer speed bug.

True. I held onto XP until Vista SP1. I always wait at least until SP1 is released for a new OS before moving up. Although, Windows 7 64 is my resting place now. I think I'll just fade away into history along with 7 TBH. 😵

Last edited by liqmat on 2019-09-24, 00:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ShovelKnight wrote:

The only skin that was kinda easy on the eyes was included with XP Media Center Edition.

Same here. The MCE style was pretty and really had some "style", at least. 😉
It took me several months to find out how it was called ( "Royale" style and"Bliss " wallpaper ?),
because PC magazines always showed screenshots of it but otherwise refused to tell some names. 🙁
Also, the green, silver and black styles ("Royale Noir") were kind of okay, too, I think.
At the time, using themes and styles was the hit in general if memory serves (even on 9x/2k using Illumination, StyleXp, WinBlinds etc).
Years before, Windows 98 started this thrend, I guess. It got animated mouse cursors and icons, sound effects and so on.
Finally, even Calmira for Windows 3.x got some "styles", well, kind of. There was Calmira XP, which got an XP/Luna taskbar.

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Calmira was the reason I stuck with Windows 3.1 for so long then jumped to Windows 98RTM on a second hand IBM PC300GL mini tower. Still got it and it was very reliable considering it was win9x. Had a lot of service out of that thing. It was my ppp gateway with two other boxes over 10Base2. Then I had XP systems people were throwing away. All they needed was extra ram and the theme set to classic. I had MSs Virtual Machine running OS/2 v3 and Red Hat 6 no problem on 512megs of ram. Eventually an XP box would crap out for some reason and just swap in one of the spares and strip the old one. Never did a new install of XP ever. Still have two XP systems in the shed. As mentioned earlier I skipped the whole Vista through 8.1 thing. Found a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and Office Home and Student 2010 a couple of weeks ago but have absolutely no idea where they came from. The only windows system in the house used now is this system which my wife bought. Every thing else is Android(mainly Samsung, my wife loves their tablets) or Linux (Deb based for the local Woodwork Guild and general use).

Of course there's all my pre 2000s stuff as well. For some reason that seems to be my main area of interest wrt to computers. Anything after that is just a burr. One reason I like tinkering around with my P166mmx testing rig is it runs every x86 OS of the period and then some.

Reply 18 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote:

I always used XP with the classic skin because otherwise it was way too garish.

Not only that but it was much much quicker than the default theme. Almost like a new system.