VOGONS

Fun n games with OS/2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really loved warp3. In 1995 I got in contact with Os2. It was the platform for the banking-software.
I hated when they got from Warp4.5 to Windows. OS/2 was rockstable but not easy to use.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2020-07-03, 05:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 21 of 31, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once you get around the Object Orientated lay out where every thing has properties and most things can be customized by just by dragging and dropping. Of course there's the keyboard short cuts as well. I don't think there is an OS I haven't broken. But that was when I in to experimenting as you do. A big thing left out though was decent file manager. The Disc tool just doesn't cut it if you are familiar with XTree, Norton Commander and such. I used File Freedom for that purpose mainly..

OS2MARK3.JPG
Filename
OS2MARK3.JPG
File size
105.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also found the multi desktop util I'd installed years ago hidden in the top right corner of the desktop and dragged it down to where it should be.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

A good resource to things OS/2 Warp v 4 are Al Savages page. Some handy tips and updated disks. http://asavage.dyndns.org/OS2/Warp4Install/Warp4Install.html It's good to see it's still up. One thing I don't miss is the repeated reboots.

It's nice, indeed. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to care about foreigners (like so many OS/2 sites). Every download is in English only.
As Spanish, French or German users you're out of luck. That's something that also IBM did let us feel more than once.
All the updates and guides available were in English mainly, makeing it difficult for other people around the world.
If the English patches would have been worked on localized copies of OS/2, at least, things would have been less turning down for everyone.
In the end, it was much easier to just buy the next big localized release of OS/2 Warp instead of trying to keep the old system up-to-date..
Windows 3.1 was much friendlier in this regard. It was fully localized, but also allowed using foreign updates, with all the consequences
(Yes/No/Abort might appear in other languages after the updates).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 31, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Updates in general were painful for users. I found a nice FP14 set up and used that on my v4 arrangement as the FP15 did some silly stuff so backed out of that. Might still have that on my win98fe box some where as that was my and the familys main system for a number of years. Updating that was really a piece of cake.

Reply 24 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 3.1 had updates? Color me surprised, the only update to Windows 3.1 I know of is Windows for Workgroups 3.11 😎

Yeah, Warp Fix Packs were never fun to install. But then, neither were NT Service Packs at the time.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Windows 3.1 had updates?.

Sure, it had, why shouldn't it ? Remember Knowledge Base (KB???) articles ? 😀
Before Windows Update. in the 1980s/90s MS spread software updates via BBSes, Online Services (AOL, CompuServe etc) and FTP servers.

What I previously was thinking of was "The Microsoft Software Library" likely.
Here's a mirror (incomplete): http://www.gaby.de/ftp/pub/win3x/archive/index.htm

If memory serves, the update from Windows 3.10 to Windows 3.11 was free, as was the updated serial port driver.
Or the SVGA driver pack from WfW 3.11. Or the FPU patch for systems with 387 FPUs.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 31, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3.11 was a half or dozen core files and can be had from the best win 3.1 support sites still. Added a bit of extra stability. They were incorporated in later 3.1 packages before wfw 3.11 was released. There were *dll file updates as well. Programs used different versions of visual basic so various vbrun*.dlls were provided.Then of course win32s. The best update of all imho was the third party Calmira II desktop shell. http://www.calmira.de/

Reply 27 of 31, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were localised OS/2 patches, but they never kept quite up to date. NT wasn't much better - at the time all OS were individually localised, with dozens of releases to support each country. It was only with Windows Vista this started to change properly (there was an international version of XP too, but I never used that).

OS/2 was great at multitasking for the time, and had fantastic VDM support (Mostly DOS, although you could run other real mode operating systems). The installation and driver support always sucked, however.

There was some innovative software released for it, just a pity a fair few of the technologies were half baked. I used it as my main OS until 1999, but then decided I wouldn't go into the millennium using a clearly dead product, and switched to NT. These days I mostly use BSD Unix, and some Windows.

Reply 28 of 31, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was thinking of getting a 486 to run os/2 warp 4.52. However on the usual sites they are quite expensive. Pentiums are much more reasonable. What type pentium and how much (max) memory will os/2 be able to run?

Reply 29 of 31, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this is a oddly specific and obscure question I realise but: does any version of OS/2 support a secondary FDC?

that is: one at base port 370 in addition to one at base port 3F0 - both sharing IRQ6 and DMA2 by toggling bit 3 in the respective DORs

Reply 30 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently I am using OS 2 2.1 on my CWD-486 DX2/66. It's working fine on CF-Card.
I still have an issue with the sounddriver when starting win-os/2.
It has to work because I have the suitable drivers for OS/2 and WinOS/2, but it does not.

When starting WinOS/2 the sounddevice is blocked.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 31 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://ecsoft2.org/uniaud-universal-audio-driver
http://www.oehlhof.de/teamruhros2/files/pci-soundkarten.pdf

https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Going_Generic...
https://web.archive.org/web/20070118062152/ht … ein/genmenu.htm

GenAud (for Win-OS/2):

"This version supports wave in and wave out and MIDI out.. It will not function with some ISA(!) soundcards from Creative won't function.
But this should not be a problem, since all Creative ISA soundcards have good WIN/OS2 support. This driver should however work with the SB Live OS/2 driver.

Bug warning! If you don't get any sound, please check your setting for the expanded memory for your WIN/OS2 sessions
It needs to be zero. Problem is being looked at! If you don't get MIDI playback, please download the new TIMER0.SYS from this website!"

Filename
genaud-v3.1r02.zip
File size
194.67 KiB
Downloads
50 downloads
File comment
Generic Win-OS/2 audio device driver for OS/2
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: Links fixed.

//My video channel//