VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was considering formatting my hard drive and trying the unofficial Windows XP Service Pack 4 + Post-SP4 Update pack from msfn.org. https://msfn.org/board/topic/171171-introduci … windows-xp-sp4/

Has anyone tried this unofficial SP4 + post-SP4 update roll-up? What was your experience? And does it have an option for a) non-SSE machines, b) SSE1-only machines, c)SSE2 machines? If not, does it break anything on non-SSE or SSE1-only systems?

I've been having trouble getting MsiInstaller programs installed on my Opteron 185 system with POS2009 updates, which others who use XP are able to install, on weaker PIII hardware. So I'm wondering if my system needs a fresh install.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nobody here has used this service pack then?

I've tested out the non-slipstreamed varient. SP4 covers XP updates until its end of support. I think this means non-SSE CPUs should be OK.

The update rollup through May 2019 includes the POS2009 updates. So that would need SSE2. The Update rollup is for slipstreaming onto your XP installation media only. But somebody made an installer for live systems, GH0stPak. It is the GH0stPak that I installed after SP4. The GH0stPak doesn't seem to include any of the .NET updates for POS2009. But WindowsUpdate still has this, though it takes some 70 updates for all XP supported .NET (up to v4) and takes the whole day to install.

I'm not sure if the slipstreamed update rollup has the POS2009 .NET updates. The file size is twice that of GH0stPak, so maybe it does.

The documentation for the Unofficial XP Service Pack 4 claims it also includes important updates not part of WindowsUpdate.

So far I haven't seen any Event Viewer errors using this. System Properties reports Service Pack 4. But once you use GH0stPak for the POS2009 updates, it reverts back to "Service Pack 3"

If your installation doesn't need .NET, then it is quick to install USP4 + GH0stPak-POS2009. It doesn't sound like there is going to be a final integration of these updates for SP5 with options for non-SSE, SSE1, or SSE2+.

Reply 2 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't mention earlier, I followed the developments on msfn throughout the last few years regarding unofficial support for XP. Sp4 was made during this time but I never used it as the way I was updated my install discs I felt was superior.

I would take clean vanilla XP source and slipstream Sp3, then using nlite I would integrate user hiddens post Sp3 QFE rollup. Aftwards I would integrate Seraphs POS add on on that. This gave me a very clean source without compatibility issues or bloat. Id then integrate Seraphs IE8 add on, and several other addons like Direct x, wmp, and visal studio updates. I usually didn't integrate .net unless there was specific hardware drivers or or software I wanted to run that needed it. then Id add pos regs and update.

Through out the time I was doing things the old way like this, I was aware of all of the updates that were bad or required specific cpu instructions and simply either didn't add them if it was an issue or I installed do not nag regs so window update wouldn't offer.

That being said I was using XP as a daily driver, if I just want to play games and mess around I think this just makes the computer slower so I wouldn't do any of this stuff just to play games or for entertainment purposes.

Reply 3 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know anything about Seraphs.

Is there another installer package which installs Direct X, wmp, visal studio updates, etc?

Using nLite, I slipsteamed SP1 onto XP Vanilla, then added USP4. While nLite still open, you have to use a dos command to run a *.bat file to slipstream post SP4 updates. The final CD size is larger than that would fit on a CD-ROM. It was about 1 GB, so I used a DVD+RW. The XP install went well, though it took awhile. Looks like the slip-streamed version of the Post-SP4 update DOES install the POS2009 .NET updates, but it does not install .NET v4 or v1.1. So, it includes 2, 3, and 3.5 POS2009 updates for which the GH0stPak Post-SP4 live installer did not.

I'm going to install .NET v4 and v1.1 over Windows Update and see how long times takes. .NET 4 requires another 33 updates. .NET 1.1, I think it was only another 3. So not a whole lot of time saving using the Post-SP4 slipstream compared to the GH0stPak which doesn't have POS2009 .NET updates. The GH0stPak Post-USP4 is essentially a collection of KB updates with a batch file written to install them in sequence.

Reply 4 of 8, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used it on my PIII-S rig, it works fine here. I have installed the .net and everything else, I haven't had any issues with SSE requirements.

I used to just download all the updates and used /integrate switch to slip stream them into my SP3 source. Anything else I used a batch file to install on 2nd reboot. I may do that again and integrate some drivers updates as well.

Reply 5 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

I've used it on my PIII-S rig, it works fine here. I have installed the .net and everything else, I haven't had any issues with SSE requirements.

I used to just download all the updates and used /integrate switch to slip stream them into my SP3 source. Anything else I used a batch file to install on 2nd reboot. I may do that again and integrate some drivers updates as well.

Were you able to slipstream the Post-USP4 POS2009 updates from the same guy who did the USP4? The filename has -harkaz-070619 in it. This was the last one. It was my understanding that this needed SSE2. Can you confirm that you could the -harkaz-070619 slipstream works for PIII's? There should be a half dozen or so updates from there which don't work on SSE1-only systems.

Did you install .NET v4 ?

The only other issue besides missing .NET v4 is that it doesn't include Silverlite. I've had one item of software requiring this over the years.

One unfortunate aspect of slipstreaming USP4 or USP4+POS2009-harkaz is that it no longer fits on a single 700 MB disc. Need to use a DVD, or perhaps there is a way to split it onto two CD discs. Slipstreaming ordinary SP3 onto the XP Pro disc still fits on a disc.

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-11-17, 13:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I don't know anything about Seraphs.

Is there another installer package which installs Direct X, wmp, visal studio updates, etc?

ya they are called addons, nlite and ryanvm support them. Its a modular approach to integrating updates or software including 3rd party programs into a xp install source. There are 100s of addons out there.

Reply 7 of 8, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did not install the package with SSE2 required, Those were post august 2018 or so, the harkaz pack doesn't have them afaik. I followed the instructions on ryanvm site. I did not slip stream the update, I used the exe installer from a usb stick post SP3 install which is the last one I integrated.

Reply 8 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't see an exe installer, only slipstream.bat in the harkaz pack and install.bat in the GH0stPak.

The harkaz pack must have the August 2018+ SSE2 updates because after installing it, Windows Update didn't show any such updates as being available. I might have to try this on a Tualatin system to see what happens.