VOGONS

First post, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I've just replaced my hard drive in my laptop (TOSHIBA PORTEGE 7200TCe) with a Compact Flash card and the controller card.
Everything works fine and very fast, the access time to the data is amazing, but there is also a problem.
The drive C which is my primary and only one in the system is detected as removable media, which is true, because CF is a removable media. The problem is, some programs like Visual Studio 2005 or even 2003 will struggle to not install on removable media.

Do you guys know how to change the disk type from removable media to fixed hard drive in Windows 2000? Any resource tweaks?

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is only possible for some SanDisk cards, as there's a bit inside the card that controls it. You can replace the card until you find one with the fixed disk bit set. Industrial grade cards are your best bet.

Reply 2 of 2, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is an alternate driver called cfadisk that you can install which should make the device detect as non-removable

I'm not sure if it actually works in Win2000 though, the description only says XP. Before trying it, you should have a plan to revert the change if it doesn't work and causes a no-boot...

Attachments

• Filename
    xpfildrvr1224_320.zip
    File size
    7.2 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception