VOGONS

First post, by devon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I did a fresh install on a PII 400 asus P2B and I cannot get usb drivers to install, I tried the 3.20 intel chipset utility and it installs the IDE drivers and other stuff but no USB. Also when I tried to install my asus V7700ti (32mb Geforce 2) the driver says something like cannot find a valid PCI ID for the card. I used a really old version 12 nvidia driver and it installed but in the NV control panel shows ? for the model. however in device manager it shows Geforce 2 GTS and plays games just fine.

I mainly just want to know if anyone used a plain jane P2B and had success installing 95.

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As for USB, did you actually install the two USB supplements that come with the Windows 95C disc? They are not installed automatically and without them, there's no USB support at all, no matter what version of Win95 you use.

Reply 2 of 5, by devon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

derSammler I found the USB update on the 95 disk I never knew you had to install them! 😀 once I did that I reran the intel chipset driver and upon reboot it picked up the USB!! Thank you so much! now I just need to figuere out this nvidia thing. its running version 12 something nvidia drivers since 21.83 did not install and it gave me the attached message below, also swapped the geforce 2ti with a geforce 2MX and it gave me the same error.

Attachments

• nvdriver.jpg
    Filename
    nvdriver.jpg
    File size
    447.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • nvcontrol.jpg
    Filename
    nvcontrol.jpg
    File size
    426.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Open the NVIDS.CFG file in notepad and check if that version of the driver supports your card at all. The error is a bit technical, but basically tells you that it can not find a supported card in your system. The Asus card may even have a non-standard ID.

Reply 5 of 5, by devon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, finally found a good driver 43.45, the version 71 driver control panel didn't work, installed 43.45 over the other and directx 8.0a and now everything is working perfect. So to summarize installing 95C on a P2B I will make sure to install USB supplements first, then the chipset driver, then directx8.0 and finally the videocard which is working great. it even identifies as the Geforce 2TI with 32mb which should be a great combo with the pII 400 and win95. Again thanks for all the help that you guys provide.

Attachments

• nv sucess.jpg
    Filename
    nv sucess.jpg
    File size
    292.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain