VOGONS

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

I am trying to install this add-on for Windows 3.1 that came out in 1993. And it's called EDOS. (Enhanced Disk operating system.)

What this does it do? Well it enhances DOS sessions on Windows 3.1. And makes using DOS on Windows 3.1 better on386 enhanced mode.

According to this article by Tony Roberts here is how it works.
From here: https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue1 … sers_still_.php

EDOS gives you all kinds of control over DOS sessions started under Windows running in 386 enhanced mode. With EDOS, you can do all the following.

* Run DOS sessions as large as 736K.

* Set alarms to let a DOS session running in the background signal you when its task is complete.

* Use Alt-F4 to close a DOS session.

* View or print the Windows clipboard from the DOS prompt.

In addition, EDOS gives you several tools to fine-tune your DOS sessions so they're running at optimum speed. The Systime and Boxtime commands can show you how much processing time a DOS application is receiving from Windows, and the Prif and Prib commands permit you to modify a DOS session's foreground and background priorities.

Other EDOS commands allow you to add memory to a DOS session, to change the time slice allocated by Windows, and to set the background or exclusive settings for the session.

If you don't like having a surfeit of PIF files hanging around your system, you can start your DOS sessions with the default PIF and use EDOS commands, either at the command line or in batch files, to modify the session parameters as needed.

On the other hand, if you're already swimming in PIF files but you can't remember which PIF goes with what, EDOS has a solution. From any windowed DOS session, you can choose PIF Editor from the Control Menu to view and edit the PIF that controls the current DOS session.

Another welcome EDOS feature is that it disables dangerous DOS commands, such as Chkdsk, Fastopen, Assign, and Append.

If you really like to call all the shots, in and out of Windows, you'll be happy with the control EDOS provides.

And here is another article from PC magazine from October 13, 1992 called "EDOS: For DOS users in Power Windows."
https://books.google.com/books?id=F1DQ5qoGN5I … indows.&f=false

"Wouldn't it be kind tp start a lenghty patch file in a Windows DOS session, switch to a Windows app, and have a message pop up when the batch file is fulfilled? That's just one of the capabilities you gain with Firefly Softwar Ststems Corp's EDOS, a software add-on the enhances your DOS sessions when you're running Windows 3.1 or 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode. EDOS adds roughly 20 new commands to your DOS sessions and one new hotkey: it also adds intelligence to PrtSc.
Through the magic of Windows virtual device drivers (VxDs), it uses no conventional memory in individual DOS sessions. One group of extra DOS commands lets you change the PIF settings on the fly. A background On command in a batch
straight Windows setup was uneventful, there were some unexplainced crahsed when many Windows utilities were running in a DOS session and slots of TSRs were active. Firefly Software is was looking into the situation on these conflicts. The
functionality of EDOS is useful, but it's potential is even more exciting. There should be more hotkeys and more investive new commands. Also, EDOS's setup utility is a little weak. It remoced the multimedia driver from our Windows SYSTEM.INI,
and we had to reinstall the driver manually. These technical programming goofs shuold not stand in the way of the main point: EDOS gives DOS users who are venturing in to the world of Windows remarkable new powers and abilities."

I got the EDOS software from here: https://www.pcorner.com/list/WINDOWS/EDOS365H.ZIP/INFO/

But there comes a question for me. We all know that Windows 3.1 finds it frowned upon playing DOS games from the GUI. But the question for EDOS installed on Windows 3.1 is this. Can this run DOS games fine when using EDOS on Windows 3.1? That's what I got to find out for myself... But I can't because I need the installation disk.

I tried to install it on Windows 3.1, but one problem. It's asking for the EDOS installations disk...
I don't even have it not even a physial copy of it. Nor a Disk image... With out it I cannot find out about what the out come would be when playing A DOS game in a DOS session with EDOS installed on Windows 3.1.

I tried searching online like on Amazon for a physical floppy online. But I could not find it on places like amazon or on Ebay. The physical copies might be rare to find. And I don't know if I can ask for any disk images on VOGONS, but VOGONS is kinda strict about it...

So if you used EDOS before and knew about the functions and if they helped you get your DOS games working on DOS session on Windows 3.1. And you happened to find where I can get the EDOS installation disk online please let me know.

Thank you...

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe your disk label is wrong?

Some installers identified their disks via dummy files and/or the label on disk. Use the LABEL command to change it.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 7, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-02-04, 07:27:

Searching for just EDOS365 I got a few hits on google with downloads available, but no idea of the contents.

I tried looking in here but chrome blocked it because it's dangerous.
http://cd.textfiles.com/psl/pslv2nv01/WIN/UTILS/

Reply 6 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It clearly says: "This packed file contains all of the required files that EDOS needs for proper operation."

Sometimes, install files must be in a folder called "Disk1", you may try that.

However, after reading the docs, your expectations are probably too high. It won't improve compatibility even a bit. It's only adding comfort function to make using DOS in Windows easier.

Reply 7 of 7, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-04, 08:30:

It clearly says: "This packed file contains all of the required files that EDOS needs for proper operation."

Sometimes, install files must be in a folder called "Disk1", you may try that.

However, after reading the docs, your expectations are probably too high. It won't improve compatibility even a bit. It's only adding comfort function to make using DOS in Windows easier.

Well I tried C:\EDOS\DISK1

But nothing happened.