VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm working on getting DOS games added to my arcade machine. Most games are not a good match for arcade controls due to either needing too many different buttons or a mouse but I'm having fun adding stuff like Halloween Harry, Commander Keen, Dizzy, etc. which all work great.

I'm running into problems when I get to Shareware games however. Shareware games often split up the game in different .exe files (biomenace1.exe, biomenace2.exe, etc.) so when I pick one of these games from the Bigbox menu, I can only link to one of these files unless I add duplicates which is a mess. Basically I want to link to one executable that offers a choice of which "chapter" I want to run.

I have software that asks for input (press A for ...) but since this is supposed to be user friendly for everyone and arcade keys aren't labelled like that, I need a menu that can be navigated using the cursor keys and confirmation by space, enter, ctrl or alt. The software I found is all way too over the top - does anyone know a tool that creates a simple .exe or .com file that is easy and quick to setup that does what I need it to i.e. let's you chose between certain options from a simple menu using cursor keys and standard selection keys?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 2 of 6, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2020-02-15, 22:46:

Hmenu ? Its only in dutch language.

I gave that a go but it's a very unwieldy program - you can't edit anything, you have to redo everything and it's very slow to work with. 3DMenu is more what I had in mind but 3DMenu doesn't work with multiple menus - it always looks to the same folder for its files.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was this recent one
New MS-DOS Games Launcher / Menu System App

Doesn't do choice splitting (It's something i've requested already) and you're better off adding entries for each episode's binary anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.. you could always just use config.sys and autoexec.bat menus. Then you can do choice splitting as much as you like.

Yeah, a pain to set up initially, but once it is set up how you like it, you are golden.

The other thing you could do for choice splitting via a .exe is to write a simple batch file and then use a utility like Bat to Exe..
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bat_ … _converter.html

Back in the day I had no idea about any of the different DOS menu programs so I did everything with config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-02-16, 03:07:

There was this recent one
New MS-DOS Games Launcher / Menu System App

Doesn't do choice splitting (It's something i've requested already) and you're better off adding entries for each episode's binary anyway

Thanks! This works fine - similar to 3DMenu in approach but you can edit entries and correct them at least. Only wish you could hide the menus and buttons to make it look a bit simpler but for now this will do.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 6 of 6, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-16, 03:57:
Well.. you could always just use config.sys and autoexec.bat menus. Then you can do choice splitting as much as you like. […]
Show full quote

Well.. you could always just use config.sys and autoexec.bat menus. Then you can do choice splitting as much as you like.

Yeah, a pain to set up initially, but once it is set up how you like it, you are golden.

The other thing you could do for choice splitting via a .exe is to write a simple batch file and then use a utility like Bat to Exe..
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bat_ … _converter.html

Back in the day I had no idea about any of the different DOS menu programs so I did everything with config.sys and autoexec.bat.

In DOSBOX, that's a lot harder to do than in true DOS though and I'd like something that is quick to add games to. I'll just use the Launchbox app for now - I just have to edit a text file for each game so takes minimal effort.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB