VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

basic: this was obviously dominated by micro$oft, which has a long history of basic products before the release of ibm pc. however, i am surprised that the ibm bascom(obviously rebadged from micro$oft) 1.0 wasn't released at the first moment with ibm pc, as they already have rombasic/basica provided by micro$oft.
pascal: while borland turbo pascal dominated for most of the time, micro$oft's product was much earlier, rebranded as ibm pascal and released at the first moment of ibm pc.
c: this seemd far more messy than other languages in early years of dos, probably due to lacking of standard like ansi c. lattice c released in 1982 seemed to be quite famous and was rebranded as m$c 1.0/2.0, but 3.0 and later were micro$oft's own work, and it was not until then did ibm rebrand m$c as ibm c, almost 4 years after ibm pc's release. however, i really don't know much about other c compilers in the old days.

Reply 2 of 5, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IBM also had a Cobol and FORTRAN compiler early in the DOS days (rebranded/OEM versions of Microsoft compilers, like their C and Pascal products), and I think they also had a Logo environment (though that wouldn't have been compiled).

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-02-21, 05:30:

I assume that the earliest DOS programs were straight ports of CP/M programs.

Turbo Pascal 3 was popular on both CP/M-80 and MS-DOS..
However, I believe TP also required a real CP/M computer with Z80 CPU, which became the defacto standard in CP/M world.
Users of outdated 8080s, 8085s and so on couldn't use TP so they maybe used something else. ALGOL60, FORTRAN, LOGO.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

basic: dominated by micro$oft for most of the time. when turbo basic came up it posted a serious challenge, but then borland gave it up, rumored to be a deal of leaving basic to micro$oft and pascal to borland. vb.net is still the dominant basic today, although powerbasic and freebasic exists.
pascal: micro$oft was the first to come, but turbo pascal soon took over, and micro$oft eventually gave it up. but after so many years even delphi is fading out.
c: initially a chaotic market and micro$oft was one of them, then turbo c and borland c++ owned everyone for some years, but micro$oft persisted and eventually came back with vc. watcom used to be the choice of compiling performance-critical games and intel is now in that position, but gcc and llvm has also taken noticable market share.