VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I worked in computers we had a bootable DOS based diagnostic diskette ( 1.44 )
You could boot from it and it would load the most common drivers and then boot into a Program with a diagnostic menu.

You could select to check:
Hard-drive
CPU
BUS
Video
Ports
Etc....

Does anyone have a diskette like this ?

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HWInfo or Norton Utilities for DOS ? Make a bootable disk and put it on the floppy.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on what you want to check. I don't recall Norton Utilities having a very extensive diag.

NU had decent disk tools.

I don't remember that it would do like video mode testing to see if VRAM was working correctly or whatever. That's always been either supplied by the vendor of the video card, or maybe some special VGA / VESA mode tester. Testing VRAM extensively would almost have to be something provided by the chipset vendor.

Port testing would usually require something like a loopback plug to echo data back. Otherwise you're just testing the control registers, which isn't very thorough.

CPU testing has always been a unique utility too, like the Intel FPU test or that sort of thing.

Bus testing... well, what exactly did you have in mind? Everything connects to the ISA or local bus, so if anything works reliably, it's probably fine!