VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a SCSI-based system which only provides int13 support up to 8 GB, but Windows 98SE sees the whole hard drive and all its partitions. Because my Windows 98SE partition is only 4 GB, I have elected to install the games into another partition, which is my W2K NTFS partition. I'm using Paragon's NTFS for Windows 98 to read/write to NTFS partitions from within Windows 98SE, but for some reason the wizard installers for various games only see approximately 2 GB of the 22 GB partition. Once that 2 GB is filled up, the installers claim that there is insufficient disk space to install and need to be exited, although Windows Explorer from within Winows 98SE can see the full 22 GB and the correct available space, which is around 18 GB.

For games which do not need the installer to register the installation in some way, perhaps via the registry, I can simply copy/paste the game files over, but for many games, they will not run properly if I do this.

Any ideas on how to bypass this HDD available space check during the installation wizard process?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds to me like the Paragon NTFS driver/utility has a bug in it.

What happens if you try to install these games that have issues on a large FAT32 partition that has at least 2GB already used?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure yet. I've been working on this but PQ Magic has been giving me a hard time as noted here: Re: NEC Proserva V Plus (dual socket 7 system) (have a lead on multiple of these)

Reply 5 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2020-03-12, 20:14:

It might be that the games are using signed 32-bit values to calculate the free space, so having between 18-20GB free would map to negative values.

It only seems to be a problem when trying to install to NTFS partitions from within Win98SE though. I cut down my W2K NTFS extended partition and made another extended partition that is FAT32 and I've not yet run into the 'hard drive full error' when installing here.