VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While they work, those two files have become a mess on my machine and I want to reorganize them.

I'm seeing guides online that tell me what the different functions do, but not how they should be arranged.

Also, is it REM or a semicolon that tells DOS to ignore lines in these files?

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a rule of thumb, always load those device drivers that take up the most memory first and work your way down.
Depending on what version of DOS you're using, type mem/c |more to see what is taking up the most memory.
Loading DOS into the Upper Memory Area also frees up some conventional memory. Use the DOS=HIGH parameter in your Config.sys file.

The REM command is what tells DOS that the line is a "REMark".
DOS 6.x has a very nice Help system that also provides more info on the various commands.

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget about manually setting up the include memory range(s) for UMBs. You can gain a decent amount of UMBs by doing this. Be prepared for some trial/error and lockups along the way in order to get it all set up though.

If set up properly, you should be able to realize close to or above 600KB free conventional memory.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually DOS=HIGH,UMB is the way to go for all systems that support it. UMB will need EMM386 to run, or a dedicated UMB driver for 286 systems.

DEVICEHIGH all drivers as far as possible, LH all TSRs. Reduce STACKS and FILES to reasonable values (not too low so nothing runs). Getting more than 600KiB of memory should be no problem.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for DOS games on *modern* systems. Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what I did.

You can just copy and paste the contents of your files here and receive some suggestions for optimizing them.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys