VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear all,
As the topic implies, I would like to know if the following Sierra games are "talkie" out of the box, or have been patch by the users:

*Space Quest series

-I know there is a patch for Space Quest III, which makes the antagonist say: "Where am I" (during the opening intro) - Where can I find the thread/download link for it please?

*King Quest Series

*Quest for Glory series

* Leisure Suit Larry series

*Laura Bow in The Dagger of Amon Ra

Kindly please provide the following info:

1) Whether a certain game, in a certain series, is "Talkie" out of the box, or not, or if there a user created/official patch

2) The aforementioned link to the patch

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 8, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess this is the wrong forum, since usually you guys respond really quick!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-03-16, 21:38:
Dear all, As the topic implies, I would like to know if the following Sierra games are "talkie" out of the box, or have been pat […]
Show full quote

Dear all,
As the topic implies, I would like to know if the following Sierra games are "talkie" out of the box, or have been patch by the users:

*Space Quest series

-I know there is a patch for Space Quest III, which makes the antagonist say: "Where am I" (during the opening intro) - Where can I find the thread/download link for it please?

*King Quest Series

*Quest for Glory series

* Leisure Suit Larry series

*Laura Bow in The Dagger of Amon Ra

Kindly please provide the following info:

1) Whether a certain game, in a certain series, is "Talkie" out of the box, or not, or if there a user created/official patch

2) The aforementioned link to the patch

I know of numerous fan made patches (some by New Rising Sun) to patch some of the older Sierra games.
For Space Quest III, not really a patch. Sierra shipped the incorrect Sound Blaster driver with the (later?) MS-DOS versions. I'll upload the file later tonight
Broadly speaking - only CD-ROM editions of these games were talkie versions. However, you sometimes had a talkie version of one "chapter", but not the next one. One example, there is a talkie version of Space Quest IV (CD-ROM) but, not of Space Quest V. Some feel the graphics of the Space Quest IV talkie version were inferior to that of the floppy disk version and patches were made to replace certain aspects of those shortcomings on the talkie version.
Have a look here: http://sierrahelp.com (one of many sites).

Reply 4 of 8, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

King’s Quest: Collection Series
84304-king-s-quest-collection-series-dos-front-cover.jpg

Quest for Glory: Anthology
36002-quest-for-glory-anthology-dos-front-cover.jpg

Space Quest: Collection Series
7726-space-quest-collection-series-dos-front-cover.jpg

Larry: Collection Series
231583-leisure-suit-larry-collection-series-dos-front-cover.jpg

Can you confirm if any of these are "talkie"?
Thank you!

Reply 5 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are all just re-releases of the original games, bundled together on a CD-ROM in an anthology/collector's game box.

Very little changes were made to the original games and no new features were added (with the exception of maybe one or two games where previously released standalone patches were now included in the re-released version).

The following (based on what you attached) are talkie versions (Google & Wikipedia works wonders here):
King's Quest V to VII
Quest for Glory IV
Space Quest IV & 6
Leisure Suit Larry 6

Reply 6 of 8, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King's Quest V to VII Quest for Glory IV Space Quest IV & 6 Leisure Suit Larry 6 […]
Show full quote

King's Quest V to VII
Quest for Glory IV
Space Quest IV & 6
Leisure Suit Larry 6

That's exactly what I was looking for (and yes, I was lazy doing the research myself! 😀

Now, are there any patches (official or user-made) that make the rest "talkie" (or add extra features?)

Thanks a bunch!

Reply 7 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No. Take note that some of the older versions are speed sensitive. Therefore, better to play these on period correct hardware or on an emulator set at the correct "speed".