VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-30, 11:08:
Omg, you are right, I mixed up something. […]
Show full quote

Omg, you are right, I mixed up something.

Now I have to a apologize.

@Damionsux
So as already mentioned, what you did, does not work in principle.
You copied over files from philscomputerlab, which are meant for pure DOS.
Windows 98 has other versions of himem.sys and emm386.exe for example, DO NOT USE the MS-Dos version of it to run the DOS part of Windows 98 SE. By the way it is called DOS 7.1 as far as I know.

You can make a boot menu in windows 98se, too. But it works slightly different, so you can't follow the guide (and most important use wrong versions of essential files) of philscomputerlab

EDIT: As a quick fix of your now broken Windows 98 SE installation, you can make c:\config.sys c:\autoexec.bat completely empty (yes, really)
Windows 98 will load everything what is essential by itsself

I think i might just reinstall windows 98 again, and start it from scratch

Reply 41 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Damionsux wrote on 2020-03-30, 16:38:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-30, 11:08:
Omg, you are right, I mixed up something. […]
Show full quote

Omg, you are right, I mixed up something.

Now I have to a apologize.

@Damionsux
So as already mentioned, what you did, does not work in principle.
You copied over files from philscomputerlab, which are meant for pure DOS.
Windows 98 has other versions of himem.sys and emm386.exe for example, DO NOT USE the MS-Dos version of it to run the DOS part of Windows 98 SE. By the way it is called DOS 7.1 as far as I know.

You can make a boot menu in windows 98se, too. But it works slightly different, so you can't follow the guide (and most important use wrong versions of essential files) of philscomputerlab

EDIT: As a quick fix of your now broken Windows 98 SE installation, you can make c:\config.sys c:\autoexec.bat completely empty (yes, really)
Windows 98 will load everything what is essential by itsself

I think i might just reinstall windows 98 again, and start it from scratch

this is the guide that I followed
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-super-easy.html

Reply 42 of 48, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is your ultimate goal to play DOS games and Windows 98SE games on the same machine?

What I do, to avoid confusion, is use an IDE to Compact Flash adapter that mounts in front panel bay.

I installed DOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE on separate CF cards, and swap them out depending on which game(s) I want to play.

The adapter isn't too expensive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-35BAYCF2IDE … -C/182211835432

Reply 43 of 48, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Damionsux wrote on 2020-03-30, 20:07:

Interesting, I did not know this guide.
It looks good, because you only have a zip file containing VIDECDD.SYS and CTMOUSE.EXE and a pif file.
So the pif-file contains a virtual config.sys and autoexec.bat for the MS-DOS session.
That means you don't edit your config.sys and autoexec.bat AT ALL, so nothing can go wrong, that's good for people with little dos experience.

Somehow that's not fitting what you posted before, because it seems you edited those 2 files.
Also you posted a screenshot of the windows explorer, that showed a folder
containing the files:
CONFIG.SYS
CTMOUSE.EXE
EMM386.EXE
HIMEM.SYS
INSTALL.BAT
MSCDEX.EXE
VIDECDD.SYS

That was NOT part of this guide.

Reply 44 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I nuked both of the autoexec and config files that were trashed, deleted the hymem and emm86 in those folders now the cdrom works but the sound doesnt. I am going to format this drive today and start from scratch

Reply 46 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay so update, nuked the Win98SE install, reformated blah blah blach

I now have a working CDRom in dosmode! however now I cannot get Duke3D music working- using the same guide I used before, I get sound effects in Quake but now Duke3D has "errors detcting fm chip" I am at a complete loss

Reply 47 of 48, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you install the drivers for your sound card?

Which sound card are you using?

Did you configure the game to use the correct DMA and IRQ settings assigned to your sound card?

Reply 48 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-31, 21:38:

Did you install the drivers for your sound card?

Which sound card are you using?

Did you configure the game to use the correct DMA and IRQ settings assigned to your sound card?

I finally have everything figured out- After the first time reinstalling I must have used some botched drivers for the sound card, which presumably caused the "cannot detect fm chip" issue... I reluctantly reinstalled windows AGAIN and did not update the sound drivers, just used the (WDDM) plug and pray feature, and now I have sound and music in Duke3D and Quake (the only 2 that I have tried) but *Fingers crossed* everything is working...
ALSO for whatever weird reason, I did have to change the interrupt in windows for the sound card, in order for the soundblaster diagnose.exe to detect the card. OH WELL I am not going to question it further!