VOGONS

MDK 2 doesn´t start

Topic actions

First post, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a big box version of MDK 2 and I can´t get it working, it just won´t start from launcher, nothing happens. I have Windows 98 SE, DirectX 8.1, GeForce4 Ti4200 with driver version 29.42. The weird thing is that it acted the same way when I used GeForce2 GTS and GeForce2 Ultra... I´m starting to lose my temper with this shit 😁 Has anybody had a similar problem?

Reply 1 of 27, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My suggestion is to try an ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (or similar). Use the 6.2 Catalyst drivers, or the last Omega set.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 2 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-04-02, 21:23:

My suggestion is to try an ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (or similar). Use the 6.2 Catalyst drivers, or the last Omega set.

Thanks for the suggestion but swapping GPUs between games isn´t at all what I want to do, not to mention just to check if it works. I know nVidia card works with MDK2 but for some reason my copy won´t start. There´s another thing: every time I´ve tried to get MDK2 working, it does weird things and OpenGL-games start having problems. Like, what the hell?

Reply 3 of 27, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was using a 4400ti in my build and had similar weird issues. Dune 2000 wouldn't start, no errors to give me a clue. Others would give me a black screen with an out of resolution error on my monitor.
I have a 9600Pro, so I thought, why not give it a try? It works perfectly with all of my games. The 6.2 drivers are pretty solid in 98se. I have the machine to play my favourite old games and although I like my GF4 the Radeon is better in my experience.
I have a 9500, 9600 pro, 9700 pro and a 9800pro. They all just work!

If you have one, give it a go?

Oh , if you intend to stick with the 4200ti try the 45.23 drivers, I found them the best.

Cheers

Ted

XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 4 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-04-03, 11:10:
I was using a 4400ti in my build and had similar weird issues. Dune 2000 wouldn't start, no errors to give me a clue. Others wou […]
Show full quote

I was using a 4400ti in my build and had similar weird issues. Dune 2000 wouldn't start, no errors to give me a clue. Others would give me a black screen with an out of resolution error on my monitor.
I have a 9600Pro, so I thought, why not give it a try? It works perfectly with all of my games. The 6.2 drivers are pretty solid in 98se. I have the machine to play my favourite old games and although I like my GF4 the Radeon is better in my experience.
I have a 9500, 9600 pro, 9700 pro and a 9800pro. They all just work!

If you have one, give it a go?

Oh , if you intend to stick with the 4200ti try the 45.23 drivers, I found them the best.

Thanks! Switching cards isn´t an option for me but I´ll give those drivers a go.

Reply 7 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, drivers didn´t help. I installed the 45.23 drivers, then MDK2 and patched it up, nothing. And not only does it not start, it fucks up every id Tech 3 game! Now every game based on said engine gives "Could not load OpenGL sub system" error message. It has done that with previous attempts and the only way to fix the error is to wipe the disk clean and start over. I mean seriously, what kind of a game is this? Has it messed things up for anyone else?

Reply 8 of 27, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's nothing wrong with the game. I never loved it as such, but I did play it on several systems without an issue. The error you're getting after changing drivers would suggest that the driver you've installed is somehow corrupt. id Tech 3 is an amazingly stable engine, so when it doesn't work it points to something else being very wrong.

I would start with a complete removal of the NV drivers and reloading them - possibly from a different installer in case yours is corrupt.

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 9 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oj0 wrote on 2020-04-19, 15:15:

There's nothing wrong with the game. I never loved it as such, but I did play it on several systems without an issue. The error you're getting after changing drivers would suggest that the driver you've installed is somehow corrupt. id Tech 3 is an amazingly stable engine, so when it doesn't work it points to something else being very wrong.

I would start with a complete removal of the NV drivers and reloading them - possibly from a different installer in case yours is corrupt.

No. Like I mention in the very first post in this thread, this happens with two other nVidia cards as well, GF2 GTS & GF2 Ultra. This problem doesn´t occur after installing the drivers, it occurs with every driver. I have tried several different drivers, no effect. id Tech 3 games works perfectly fine before installing MDK2 but after installing it, id Tech 3 games goes to shit.

Reply 10 of 27, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
khyypio wrote on 2020-04-19, 15:34:

No. Like I mention in the very first post in this thread, this happens with two other nVidia cards as well, GF2 GTS & GF2 Ultra. This problem doesn´t occur after installing the drivers, it occurs with every driver. I have tried several different drivers, no effect. id Tech 3 games works perfectly fine before installing MDK2 but after installing it, id Tech 3 games goes to shit.

And this is still the same Windows install as originally?

Maybe try to verify your core installation files. Open Command Prompt and run the following:

sfc.exe /SCANNOW

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 11 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oj0 wrote on 2020-04-19, 15:40:
And this is still the same Windows install as originally? […]
Show full quote

Maybe try to verify your core installation files. Open Command Prompt and run the following:

sfc.exe /SCANNOW

I have the Unofficial Service Pack 3.64, only the core files and couple of cosmetic changes installed.

Reply 12 of 27, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't that game use that weird "open GL" driver all of its own? The one with its own installer?

As far as I remember it only supported earlier cards, GF2 era etc. I also remember it being a real pain!

Cheers

Ted

Reply 13 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MDK2 wasn't idTech3 based, it was Omen (which is in more relation to Aurora)

MDK2's use of OpenGL isn't any more special. The "installer" you're referring to is the old GLSetup that usually comes with a few commercial GL games (starting with Q3 and ending around Clusterball) which was more or less an obsolete, desperate tech support method to deal with early Win9x GL ICD dilemmas more easily, and shouldn't need any installation on a Geforce2. GLSetup was originally concocted to stop a flood of "q3test dont work 3dfx" emails.

The original MDK2 retail box though is DRM'd and buggy, however... i think there's a bigger issue than MDK2 here if other games have stopped working. I know i've played it on my Geforce2 without incident almost 20 years ago, and I've never seen it fail on the newer hardware I habitually tried it on since, but I do remember the "Use DirectX for setting video modes" checkbox in the MDK2 launcher does have problems on some hardware.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 27, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
khyypio wrote on 2020-04-19, 15:45:
Oj0 wrote on 2020-04-19, 15:40:
And this is still the same Windows install as originally? […]
Show full quote

sfc.exe /SCANNOW

I have the Unofficial Service Pack 3.64, only the core files and couple of cosmetic changes installed.

It doesn't mean that things couldn't have become corrupt. You're having issues with a multitude of games now, so I'd start with SFC and, failing that, perhaps a reload of Windows (if you have an Upgrade version you can reinstall straight over your current installation without losing apps or data).

leileilol wrote on 2020-04-20, 00:06:

MDK2 wasn't idTech3 based, it was Omen (which is in more relation to Aurora)

It is indeed a different engine, but I think what he's saying is that now he's not only getting issues with MDK 2 but also all id Tech 3 games.

Reply 15 of 27, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MDK2 replaces/corrupts the opengl32 driver in the c:\windows folder if I remember correctly. Backup the opengl32.dll file before playing the first time.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 16 of 27, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stretch wrote on 2020-04-29, 13:47:

MDK2 replaces/corrupts the opengl32 driver in the c:\windows folder if I remember correctly. Backup the opengl32.dll file before playing the first time.

^^ this

It may also work if you throw the opengl32.dll file intom the MDK2 root directory so you can keep the opengl32.dll that works with the idtech games/ others in the windows folder.

Or when installing the game DO NOT run the GLsetup, and make sure you set your settings correctly for the Graphics driver in the game setup window.

Reply 17 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-04-29, 13:53:
^^ this […]
Show full quote

^^ this

It may also work if you throw the opengl32.dll file intom the MDK2 root directory so you can keep the opengl32.dll that works with the idtech games/ others in the windows folder.

Or when installing the game DO NOT run the GLsetup, and make sure you set your settings correctly for the Graphics driver in the game setup window.

Thanks! But since the damage is already done, how do I fix it? Can I download the correct opengl32.dll anywhere?

Reply 18 of 27, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
khyypio wrote on 2020-05-07, 09:41:
^^ this […]
Show full quote

^^ this

Thanks! But since the damage is already done, how do I fix it? Can I download the correct opengl32.dll anywhere?

reinstall opnegl form another source a more updated version or reinstall your graphics drivers they may inlcude the file also.

Reply 19 of 27, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-07, 09:54:
khyypio wrote on 2020-05-07, 09:41:

^^ this

reinstall opnegl form another source a more updated version or reinstall your graphics drivers they may inlcude the file also.

I did re-install the drivers, didn´t help. I´ll try installing a idtech3 game next. Thanks!