VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98SE, fresh install. For some reason, every single time I reboot/turn ON the system, the Scan disk run and does a surface scan. This is on a 2GB SanDisk CF card (which is was working perfectly, and Scan Disk does not find any software.hardware/bad sector anyway). My system settings are in my signature.

I forgot to mention, that this happens, when I install Quake 1, and its two Mission Packs, and when I choose the 640x480 (software) resolution on my Rage 128 Pro video card. I know it sounds weird, but it happens everytime I do it. (I have a backup image of my pristine Win98SE OS, so I use HDDRawCopy v1.10 to restore this pristine image back to my CF card, something that is very tiresome and annoying.)

Is there anyway to turn this feature OFF?/Disable?
Thanks!

EDIT:

I found out these solutions on the web:
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthrea … XYvjTUOeN0hXqL9

"By the way for those that are interested:
98/Me doesn't reset itself, it's easy there:

To disable Scandisk from running automatically at start up on Windows 98/Me:

1. Start Menu > Run...
2. type
Msconfig
then click on OK
3. Click on Advanced... button
4. Check "Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown option"
5. OK, OK, then click Yes to restart the computer."

There is also a text file that can be merged with the registry:

"Save the following .txt file with a .reg extension, and merge it into your Registry... "
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachmen … 19&d=1107828247

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Instead of disabling it, try to find out why it happens. If you just disable scandisk, a data loss is very likely to happen after a real hard crash. Especially if the FAT gets damaged and there's no scandisk run to copy over the backup FAT (you have that chance only once before any data is written to the disk after a crash).

I had this behavious with CF cards a few times because the BIOS would detect the card size wrong, making it believe there is one additional block at the end that doesn't exist.

Reply 2 of 2, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-23, 06:24:

Instead of disabling it, try to find out why it happens. If you just disable scandisk, a data loss is very likely to happen after a real hard crash. Especially if the FAT gets damaged and there's no scandisk run to copy over the backup FAT (you have that chance only once before any data is written to the disk after a crash).

I had this behavious with CF cards a few times because the BIOS would detect the card size wrong, making it believe there is one additional block at the end that doesn't exist.

I understand that, and I would have done that, if I was living back in 1997, but with the advent of the "cloning" software, and not having too much of a data loss to worry about (some few saved games, such as Quake 1, Hexen 1, and 2, etc., which I constancy backup to a flash stick) I am not that concern about data loss.

But you are correct nevertheless.

"If you find that your computer doesn't suffer any maladies after a forced shutdown, and nothing is reported as being wrong after ScanDisk autoruns, and you want to stop the automatic scanning, you have two options to prevent ScanDisk from automatically starting:
1. On the toolbar click Start, click Run, type Msconfig, and then click OK.
2. Click Advanced, and select the Disable ScanDisk after bad shutdown option.
3. Click OK twice, and then click Yes to restart your computer."

https://www.wizcrafts.net/ans/scandisk.html

That is what I did, as every time scandisk runs, it simply does not find any error.

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)