VOGONS

First post, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´m refurbishing an XP machine for a friend of mine and I´m replacing the old hard disk with SSD. I have the old product key on the side of the computer but my friend doesn´t know what happened to the installation CD, or if he ever even had one to begin with. For what I could find out, it´s legal to download an ISO file and use the original product key with it. I just don´t know where to download one. Any help? I should use the latest Service Pack, right?

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, Microsoft never made these available for download to consumers.
Your best option is to just download it from someplace else - archive.org might have some copies.

Reply 2 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote on 2020-04-28, 14:33:

Your best option is to just download it from someplace else - archive.org might have some copies.

I believe they're available through MSDN.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 7, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-28, 14:55:
jesolo wrote on 2020-04-28, 14:33:

I believe they're available through MSDN.

I found this: LINK REMOVED
I can´t tell which is retail in which is OEM, or does it make a difference for the product key? What does "x86" mean?

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can find the bits on the Internets using sites like Google. Please do not post links or ask for such software on these forums.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
khyypio wrote on 2020-04-28, 15:47:

I can´t tell which is retail in which is OEM, or does it make a difference for the product key? What does "x86" mean?

x86 means the 32-bit version of the OS

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 7 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
khyypio wrote on 2020-04-28, 17:42:

OK, thanks.

You can search on the internet for your OEM copy, if you use the disc of some other companies like Dell, Gateway. They might have different CD-Keys. Or if you use a MS OEM disc, download that one. You can google search first then move to archive.org

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058