VOGONS

First post, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought it might a fun project to make a list of latter games that ether lack official 9x and can ether be make to work on 9x or works out of the box on 9x despite lack of official support.

Resident evil 4, 2007 retail copy. No official win98 support. Works out of the box if all other requirements are met.
AOE3, no official win98 support. I can't recall if anything needed done to make it work on 98. but I know I used to play it on a windows 98 system.
Penumbra Series, Works out of the box from what I recall.
Doom 3, works out of the box if the if all other requirements are met. May need KernelEx or edited EXE.
Dawn of War Soulstorm. Works if files are copied from a installer supported operating system, may need KernelEx.

Anyone have a game or two to add to the list.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-06-01, 15:34. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dawn of War - Soulstorm works if copied from a installer supported operating system. I can't remember at this very moment if the ripped game folder also needed KernelEx though. Perhaps.

Doom 3 works with KernelEx. It does not need KernelEx tho, as the EXE also can be hex edited into working on win9x system.

Reply 2 of 3, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dottoss wrote on 2020-06-01, 14:59:

Dawn of War - Soulstorm works if copied from a installer supported operating system. I can't remember at this very moment if the ripped game folder also needed KernelEx though. Perhaps.

Thanks.

dottoss wrote on 2020-06-01, 14:59:

Doom 3 works with KernelEx. It does not need KernelEx tho, as the EXE also can be hex edited into working on win9x system.

I forgot about that one. I did not need a KernelEx last time I used it, worked out of the box for me.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
austinham wrote on 2020-06-01, 15:32:

I forgot about that one. I did not need a KernelEx last time I used it, worked out of the box for me.

I've never had Doom3 work out of the box on Win98 ever. It was one of those early artificial-breakage-to-push-WinXP-requirement games. The other big three (FarCry, UT2004, Half-Life 2) worked on Win98 fine in the day. There would be some other artificial XP requirement stuff like XP-exclusive maps for UT2004 or so...

apsosig.png
long live PCem