VOGONS

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a little while I own an IBM 2137, E60 to be exactly. After getting it, the system would not boot to its hard drive, but not weird sounds and detected well in BIOS. Took it out and set It aside because it is said to be a slug.

Now I decided to check what's wrong with it, attached it and the boot sector was corrupted. After fdisk /MBR it just would restart Windows 95 as it should (and it is sluggish indeed).
It appears to be the original Dutch installation.

Now I already have installed another hard disk with Win98, got the original program disk from Archive.org and fort it running perfectly. But no IBM desktop theme...

On the original hard disk I extracted the desktop theme:
- several BMP files related to "IBM" and "OEM"
- "oeminfo.ini" file to get OEM info in "my computer" properties (but does not work in Win98?)
- the famous "eye bee M" screensaver.

All in one ZIP file, 300kB in size (zipped).

Now my Windows 98SE is complete!

Of course I would like to share these with you all, but I don't know if it is allowed here. So... Is it? Would you be interested?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 1 of 10, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I would love to see this! I personally have an IBM 2137 E46 with the original windows install long gone, and it would be neat to make it look a bit more authentic. I know there have been other threads here for sharing OEM wallpapers and graphics, so I don't think it would be a problem?

Reply 2 of 10, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All right, here it comes: I got my Aptiva running Windows 98SE with these sources

The attached ZIP one contains these files:
- c:\startlogo.oem (Win 95 startup screen; not sure what it does or if it is special at all)
- c:\windows\IBMBLUE.BMP (nice low res background)
- c:\windows\OEMLOGO.BMP (full blown IBM background; my favourite)
- c:\windows\OEMWALL.BMP (small IBM logo)
- c:\windows\OEMINFO.INI (OEM info that should be displayed in computer properties)
- c:\windows\system\IBM.SCR (IBM Eye Bee M screensaver)
Please note I have copied them from an old hard disk and zipped them. Checked fo virusses at my Win10 computer with Windows defender (none detected), but further as is. Use at your own risk.

https://archive.org/details/IBM_Aptiva_Person … ications_CD-ROM
Aptiva application CD-rom (Aptiva Demo, IBM Antivirus, Voyetra mediaplayer etc).
Confirmed to install into Windows 98SE without trouble.

https://archive.org/details/ibmaptiva2137e14
Aptiva 2137 drivers and some tech data; DOS, Win 3.11, Win95 and Win98.

If you're missing something, I can always see if I can find what you're looking for on the hard drive; I didn't wipe it..

Edit:
These Archive.org downloads are all in English. Personally I'm fine with it, but if these would be available in Dutch I would prefer that. Would be more suited for where I live (The Netherlands)

Attachments

• Filename
    Aptiva.zip
    File size
    259.3 KiB
    Downloads
    244 downloads
    File comment
    Aptiva theme files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 10, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I gave it a try…

The startlogo.oem file you've included is identical to the one included with the Windows 95 OSR2.
The "oemlogo" and "oeminfo" files need to go into C:\Windows\System, at least on Windows 95.

ibm-aptiva-screenshot.png

Looks great, and the screensaver works nicely. Unfortunately this system is currently in pieces on my bench at the moment (I only just got it working after troubleshooting a ram issue), but it will certainly look the part now if I get it cleaned up and put back together 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure this will look really nice on my Thinkpad A31p with an IPS screen.

Thank you for this! 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 7 of 10, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This looks nice. Thanks. Does anyone know if the old Thinkpads with Win95 used to come with these images/screensavers? I have to restore one, and maybe I could use this files in mine.

Reply 8 of 10, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know about the ThinkPad series... But since IBM did reuse some of its images, slightly modified for the drivers, they may have been using them I guess? It's not unlikely...

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 9 of 10, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peido wrote on 2020-06-17, 11:27:

This looks nice. Thanks. Does anyone know if the old Thinkpads with Win95 used to come with these images/screensavers? I have to restore one, and maybe I could use this files in mine.

You can find most a lot of the original ThinkPad customization files here:
https://sites.google.com/view/oemfiles/oem-cu … es/ibm-thinkpad

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 10 of 10, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2020-06-17, 17:37:

You can find most a lot of the original ThinkPad customization files here:
https://sites.google.com/view/oemfiles/oem-cu … es/ibm-thinkpad

Wow!
Thank you 😀