VOGONS

First post, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read somewhere that Cannon Fodder supported the Roland MT-32 and was very eager to find out what that would sound like.

This is where all pain began. I've been gathering bits and pieces of info, tackling one problem after another to finally get it running. I'm probably not the only one, so here's how I've done it. All programs mentioned are found in the attachements below!

Graphics:
After running the exec the screen goes black, your monitor goes into standby mode or displays an out of range message. The issue might be your S3 card. Grab S3VBEFIX and run it. This should fix it.

Sound:
The game tells me that it can't detect/initialise my Sound Blaster card. It appears this game is very speed sensitive. Disabling your CPU's cache will slow it down enough for the installer to magically detect it again. You can do so with the icache tool. Just run 'icache d' (d for disable). Then run the CF installer again and it should now detect your soundblaster card. You need to keep the cache disabled when you run the game or else it will fail the initialisation again.

It's also possible to select Roland for music and sound, but chances are your screen will go black when the music is supposed to play. Seems CF is also very picky about the MPU401. You can use SoftMPU to emulate the MPU. Run 'softmpu /MPU:XXX', where XXX is the Midi port adress of your soundblaster (often 300 or 330). The music will sound fine but the sound effects are clearly wrong. I haven't been able to find a fix for this. You can use your soundblaster to handle the sound FX's and leave the music to the Roland MT-32.

To make your life easier, it's recommended to make a small batch file running all these programs in order:

@echo off
s3vbefix
icache d
softmpu /MPU:330
cannon*

(*or however your exec is called.. seems to differ in some versions of the game).

Hope this helped some people out there 😀

For reference, I'm trying to run it on a Pentium 233MMX, 64 Mb RAM, SB16 CT2770, Primax AltraSound Wave 1024k, S3 Virge DX with 4mb, 3dfx Voodoo2 with 8 mb.

Attachments

Visit my YT Channel!