VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been playing around with a couple of Travan 20, IDE backup tape drives. I find that they can make nice space fillers if you don't have a matching 3.5" bay cover, or if you just want to add some hardware variety to your vintage systems. The particular unit I've been experimenting with is a Seagate/Quantum/Certance STT320000A. It takes Travan 20 TR-5 data cartridges, which hold 20 GB of compressed data, or 10 GB of uncompressed data. Some photos:

Seagate_STT320000A_drive_in_use.jpg
Filename
Seagate_STT320000A_drive_in_use.jpg
File size
302.64 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Seagate_STT320000A_drive.jpg
Filename
Seagate_STT320000A_drive.jpg
File size
41.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Travan20_TR-5_data_cartridges.jpg
Filename
Travan20_TR-5_data_cartridges.jpg
File size
198.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I am able to use NT4's built-in Backup utility for the IDE STT320000A tape drives and the cartridges seem to write correctly. I've tested up to 2 GB thus far.

Tape_backup_NT4.png
Filename
Tape_backup_NT4.png
File size
5.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also have a SCSI unit made by AIWA, the TD-20001, but for whatever reason I keep getting errors after approx. 50-200 MB of written data. Continued use of the AIWA renders the tape drives unrecognisable. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps I am using the incorrect driver? I was unable to find any AIWA, Seagate, Quantum, or Certance drivers for these tape drives, but on the AIWA jumper sheet (SCSI), someone has penciled in "use the standard QIC-157 IDE driver". Upon looking online for the IDE drivers, it was also mentioned to use the standard QIC-157 IDE driver. Is this the correct approach?

Unfortunately, Windows 95c doesn't come with any tape backup software from what I could tell, at least not the standard installation. Was there any Microsoft supplied software available for tape backup in Windows 95c? Does anyone have any 3rd party software to recommend, preferably freeware? Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently there is a Windows 95-supplied Backup application, however it does not work with Travan 20 drives.

Last edited by feipoa on 2020-07-07, 10:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an old mid 90's scsi tape backup (think it is HP branded but think guts are Quantum some where in my stack of stuff) it uses Travan TR-1 tapes, am holding two of it's 400MB tapes as I type this. Let me check my archives cause I know I used it back about 1999 under Win9x.

added: check your inbox. found 2 diff versions of Colorado Tape Backup for Win9x, still looking for Tapestor app.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun