VOGONS

First post, by johnnystarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I have come across several drivers that seem to be floating around in the community that are required to get my rig running properly.
I have built a Socket A Athlon DOS gaming machine based on Phil's suggestions. I picked up one of those Cobra YMF744 PCI cards.
The machine has an optical drive + Gotek emulator.

My question is basically a simple one. The following drivers appear to be required:

DSDMA.EXE
VIDECDD.SYS
CTMOUSE.EXE

And there might be a few more. I believe CTMOUSE is provided as part of FreeDOS which I understand to be an open source project.
However, I'm not 100% sure about where DSDMA.EXE comes from. (It did not come on my CD with the Cobra PCI card). Also, I know
that VIDE-CDD.SYS comes from Acer, but I also do care about understanding where these can be obtained legally.

For instance, does DSDMA.EXE come with a particular software package that can be purchased? Is the same possible with VIDECDD.SYS?
If its not clear, I prefer to do everything as legit as possible. My concern about downloading random drivers is where they come from exactly.

I realize this isn't a priority for many. But I appreciate any feedback as Googling hasn't helped me much. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DSDMA.EXE comes from the latest DOS driver pack (3.16) on Yamaha's website:

http://device.yamaha.com/en/lsi/download/

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnnystarr wrote on 2020-07-14, 01:48:
Hello there, […]
Show full quote

Hello there,

I have come across several drivers that seem to be floating around in the community that are required to get my rig running properly.
I have built a Socket A Athlon DOS gaming machine based on Phil's suggestions. I picked up one of those Cobra YMF744 PCI cards.
The machine has an optical drive + Gotek emulator.

My question is basically a simple one. The following drivers appear to be required:

DSDMA.EXE
VIDECDD.SYS
CTMOUSE.EXE

And there might be a few more. I believe CTMOUSE is provided as part of FreeDOS which I understand to be an open source project.
However, I'm not 100% sure about where DSDMA.EXE comes from. (It did not come on my CD with the Cobra PCI card). Also, I know
that VIDE-CDD.SYS comes from Acer, but I also do care about understanding where these can be obtained legally.

For instance, does DSDMA.EXE come with a particular software package that can be purchased? Is the same possible with VIDECDD.SYS?
If its not clear, I prefer to do everything as legit as possible. My concern about downloading random drivers is where they come from exactly.

I realize this isn't a priority for many. But I appreciate any feedback as Googling hasn't helped me much. Thanks!

VIDE-CDD.SYS comes from a file named apicd214.exe . This file used to be available used to be publicly available from Benq . archive.org still has a copy of the original file in its archive of benq.com . A link to it appears on this page https://web.archive.org/web/20050215094339/ht … ge_drivers.html The direct link to the DOS driver is here : https://web.archive.org/web/20040605235818/ht … os/apicd214.exe

DSDMA.EXE is included with dsxgdos.exe , which is part of the DOS driver package for Yamaha YMF7x4 based sound cards . This used to be available from the Yamaha website, but the link is no longer functional . The archived page is here : https://web.archive.org/web/20070822014054/ht … t/lsi/download/ , but the download link for dsxgdos.exe does not work either . Luckily, Archive.org has a directly downloadable copy of the file here . https://web.archive.org/web/20070206124805/ht … -xg/dsxgdos.exe

CTMOUSE.EXE comes from the Cute Mouse Open Source project . It is downloadable from here : http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

EDIT: BTW, thanks for motivating me to do the required "digital archeology" . I was a bit curious about VIDE-CDD.SYS myself .

Reply 3 of 8, by johnnystarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@darry, @joseph_joestar,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate all the research! So its safe to say that because Yamaha and Benq provided these originally for their products, these drivers aren't the same as say "a proprietary ROM"?
Obviously, drivers are required to run devices. I just wanted to make sure they were coming from reputable sources.

Reply 4 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
johnnystarr wrote on 2020-07-14, 15:11:

So its safe to say that because Yamaha and Benq provided these originally for their products, these drivers aren't the same as say "a proprietary ROM"?

In Yamaha's case, it's just the driver required to run the device.

If you want the official (unmodified) version, as it was originally provided by Yamaha, that too is mirrored on Phil's website. The file is called:

dsxgdos_ms-dos__restart_in_ms-dos_mode_in_win_95_98__v._3.16.exe

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnnystarr wrote on 2020-07-14, 15:11:

@darry, @joseph_joestar,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate all the research! So its safe to say that because Yamaha and Benq provided these originally for their products, these drivers aren't the same as say "a proprietary ROM"?
Obviously, drivers are required to run devices. I just wanted to make sure they were coming from reputable sources.

Just to be clear, I am not a lawyer and this is just my, possibly erroneous, understanding and not any kind of legal advice ,

Nearly all drivers are proprietary software as are most ROMs in hardware products. The key points to consider are

a) is (re-)distribution allowed ?
b) are there strings attached to use (like owning the product the driver or ROM was meant for) ?

Point a) is usually an implicit yes, since drivers and upgrade ROMs were distributed freely by manufacturers over the Internet, on bulletin boards, on shareware/freeware/driver CDs (not to say drivers are freeware, I am just describing the distribution mediums) etc . There may have been exceptions where re-distribution by a third party was explicitly prohibited, but with the original source often gone and the re-distributed drivers not always coming with terms of use, how are we, in good faith, to know ?
This is different from a ROM that was dumped from a device and never distributed publicly by the manufacturer to begin with .

As for point b) , you first have to consider that many drivers are actually made by chip manufacturers, these are referred to as reference drivers . Specific card or hardware manufacturers will use chips and then sometimes customize their reference drivers to their actual products. Sometimes this is just aesthetic skinning, other times specific functionality is added or customized. These are called OEM drivers (OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer). Actual use of an OEM driver is usually tied, by terms of use, to actually owning the device the driver is meant for . Reference drivers are likely OK to use on any device based on the chip the said drivers were written for (this does not always work in practice because some devices are different enough from the chip manufacturer's reference design that OEM drivers are absolutely required) .

If, for example, we look at VIDE-CDD.SYS specifically, though the driver was meant for specific Benq models, I can find no restriction on the WEB page or the driver package as to specific terms of use that would legally prevent its use with another product .

Finally, to close the subject, consider that terms of use are not always enforceable in part or in whole and that there are so called fair-use exceptions that may come into play, depending on jurisdiction . If you are worried about legal ramifications, my best advice is consult a lawyer from your jurisdiction and have him vet anything you may have heard or read on the subject, including the content of this post since, as mentioned before, I am not a lawyer .

Reply 6 of 8, by johnnystarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@darry, thanks for that input. I think I'm satisfied based on mostly understanding the origin of the executables being distributed. Its more of a curiosity than a concern of legalese. As a kid, my 486 (Packard Bell Legend) in 1991 didn't come with much but a few disks. I took for granted drivers entirely until I got a Creative Soundblaster / CD Rom kit. It came with everything to get it working. This is my 2nd DOS based retro-build. The first one was a Socket 7 Pentium I build. It was all ISA cards (Soundblaster 16) and the NOS CD-ROM came with a driver floppy. Turned out that the floppy was bad, so I had to get the OAK driver from my Win98/SE disk (if memory serves)

This is the first retro build I've done from a late 90s CPU/chipset. So its all PCI and AGP. I've learned a lot this go around though.

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. In the future you should ask questions involving old hardware in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote on 2020-07-15, 00:19:

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. In the future you should ask questions involving old hardware in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Moved.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto