VOGONS

First post, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive noticed a few glitches in my games on my new install of DOS on a 386.
Some issues were downright corruption on defective media, but ive had issues with Rockford locking up with a blank screen after I loose all my lifes.
Instead of going to the home screen, it just goes blank.
Then I noticed I could get the game to work fine when EMM386 was turned off.
I only discovered this by accident after turning it off along with smartdrive so I could run Speedsys properly.
I have noticed other apps sometimes do the same thing too, such as cachechk when I came to running it.

Below is my config.sys and autoexec.bat files for you to inspect.

I have run memmaker earlier on, and it seems to keep throwing out the line for the CDROM driver in Autoexec.bat and I had to add it back after running memmaker.

Any other ideas?
Im pretty sure the RAM is OK, it passed a memtest86+ test fine.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
BUFFERS=33,0
FILES=90
STACKS=9,256
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,10416 =C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,40800 =C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

SET SOUND=C:\SB16 SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q LH /L:0 C:\ […]
Show full quote

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q
LH /L:0 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LH /L:1,29472 c:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM
LOADHIGH=C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

Reply 1 of 2, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are at least two issues I can think of:

1. Some games (not many, but some) have compatibility issues with EMM386 or protected mode in general.
2. On some systems EMM386 fails to automatically detect available vs reserved memory address regions, and can allocate UMBs in address space reserved to BIOS or devices, which can lead to weird crashes and misbehavior. For this purpose the X= switch was introduced which tells EMM386 which regions to exclude.

Since I never owned a 386 and haven't played Rockford, I cannot be of more specific help in your case.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 2, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-08-09, 11:12:
There are at least two issues I can think of: […]
Show full quote

There are at least two issues I can think of:

1. Some games (not many, but some) have compatibility issues with EMM386 or protected mode in general.
2. On some systems EMM386 fails to automatically detect available vs reserved memory address regions, and can allocate UMBs in address space reserved to BIOS or devices, which can lead to weird crashes and misbehavior. For this purpose the X= switch was introduced which tells EMM386 which regions to exclude.

Since I never owned a 386 and haven't played Rockford, I cannot be of more specific help in your case.

OK, thats interesting to know, Rockford is from about 1987 I think.
Since Cachechk was doing silly things, I wonder if its something else?
I have been told that the A20 line bug on some motherboards can do similar things.
Would be interested if someone else with a 386 can test this game out.