VOGONS

First post, by calippo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a ca 2002-2003 PC that I brought out for retro gaming (P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Abit IC7-G motherboard, Audigy 2, Radeon 9800). I installed Win 98 SE to be able to boot into DOS for DOS games. I also managed to configure the system so that booting into DOS it has access to the SB16 emulation, mouse and CD-ROM.

Tried a few DOS games, but I'm having various problems. Could anyone give me generic "do this" instructions to get "most" games working more easily?

1) Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I can't get this to even install. Starting INSTALL.EXE from the CD gives the usual blurb, says there's enough memory, asks about UNIVBE (neither choice matters), then goes into a black screen with a few pixels worth of garbled garbage at the very top.

2) Mortal Kombat 3, original DOS version. This installs ok, but I can't select any characters (it selects the first one), then goes into the tower selection which is r-e-a-l-l-y slow. The fight works ok, although I can't the CD music to work (might be my drive, MK3 needs the Master drive apparently).

3) Crusader: No Remorse. Managed to get this working by using HIMEMX.EXE. What other games need this to work?

Reply 1 of 4, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any concrete solutions for your issues but you could install Terra Nova in DosBox and copy over the game's files. In general I'd say your PC is a bit too new for those games, you're just getting into the 'modern' era where DOS compatibility wasn't a large consideration.

Reply 2 of 4, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your computer is indeed a bit too new and can be quirky to have DOS games running on it. From personal experience, the reason you can't select a player in MK3 is because... that particular screen of the game runs very very fast due to your processor. I mean, it expects a 486 or Pentium, not Pentium 4 2.4GHz 😀. Could be a ton of reasons why CD audio is not playing, probably due to drivers, Audigy 2 is not really meant for DOS.

Reply 3 of 4, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try slowing down your machine with tools such as SetMul or Throttle, if they support your hardware.
As for cd audio, have you connected your cd drive's analog audio output to your sound card, and have you set that input's volume? Digital cd audio (through the IDE cable) won't work under DOS.