VOGONS

First post, by Epirean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have this strange problem on my retro machine, and Need For Speed 2, High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed (2000) have this same issue it seems. First, my hardware specs:

Intel Pentium 3 370 933 MHz
256 MB RAM 133 Mhz CL2
Windows 98 SE with only a few official patches (the unofficial patch always makes my installation unstable)
3DFX Voodoo 4500 AGP 2x with official latest 3DFX drivers
Motherboard only supports AGP 1x or 2x, so it is set to 2x properly in the official Voodoo drivers, and in the BIOS.
DirectX 8.2
Aztech Soundcard in ISA port

So my issue is: every time I am in the games, and I am too long in the menus, the system completely freezes. Sometimes it is a bit responsive, you can hear the sound Windows makes when I click from my theme. But usually, I have to press the reset button. This does not happen while racing. If I start up a race within max 2 minutes, I can play the games fine. This is ok for NFS 2, but in Porsche Unleashed, I can't play the carreer mode because you have to maintain your car and buy new cars in menus, so I get this freeze before I can set up a race.

What I tried:
I put the graphics settings both in Windows and the game on 16 bit color, lowered the resolution, tried to downgrade DirectX to 7, and even tried DirectX 9, no luck. I tried a fresh install with only DirectX 8.2 and my official Voodoo drivers, same problem. I don't have these problems in any other game. I can run Tomb Raider 2 and Heretic 2 in Glide mode just fine for hours.

I also swapped the Voodoo card for a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, removed the voodoo drivers in safe mode and installed the latest (2002) official ATI drivers, now the game works fine. No freezes or any issues.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try? I play a lot of 1998 Glide games, so I cannot keep this ATI card in my system. Anyone ever had any similar issues? Could it be a hardware fault? Then why does it only happen in the non-3D menus? And only in these older NFS games? Any tips that I can try are welcome. Thank you!

EDIT (Problem solved):
I tried my Voodoo 4500 card in my Pentium 4 1500 mhz machine, and Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed works flawless. So the problem lies within the compatibility of the VIA Apollo chipset and the Voodoo card. I tried special VIA chipset Voodoo drivers, but they don't help either. Just stay away from this chipset if you want to use a Voodoo 4 or 5. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Epirean on 2020-08-25, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a strange problem.
Maybe the issue only occurs in the menus of some games because for those games/menus the frame rate shoots up? Perhaps enabling vsync might help in that case? But that wouldn't explain why it only crashes after 2 minutes.

Reply 3 of 6, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-08-13, 16:52:

If you're using a 440bx board try reducing the fsb to 100MHz.

Was about to leave the same comment. 😀
Indeed, this is my assumption also. Voodoo cards are known to have issues with out-of-spec AGP frequencies. If you are on 440BX, since your CPU is on 133 MHz FSB, your current AGP frequency is running at 89 MHz instead of 66 MHz (which would only be possible with a 1/2 AGP divider that the 440BX does not support, unfortunately).

So, yeah, switching to FSB 100, would have two consequences:
1. Your CPU frequency would drop down to 700 MHz (a 15% performance hit at most, even if we consider the fact that RAM speed will also drop to 100 MHz - and this is only for CPU bound scenarios).
2. The AGP bus would again run at the default 66 MHz, which Voodoo cards will really appreciate 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 6, by Epirean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-08-13, 13:26:

What a strange problem.
Maybe the issue only occurs in the menus of some games because for those games/menus the frame rate shoots up? Perhaps enabling vsync might help in that case? But that wouldn't explain why it only crashes after 2 minutes.

Thanks. Did not help. However, I installed a custom patch for Porsche unleashed which allows me to run the game windowed, and I let it run in the menus for 15 minutes, without any freeze.

bloodem wrote on 2020-08-13, 17:02:
Was about to leave the same comment. :) Indeed, this is my assumption also. Voodoo cards are known to have issues with out-of-sp […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-08-13, 16:52:

If you're using a 440bx board try reducing the fsb to 100MHz.

Was about to leave the same comment. 😀
Indeed, this is my assumption also. Voodoo cards are known to have issues with out-of-spec AGP frequencies. If you are on 440BX, since your CPU is on 133 MHz FSB, your current AGP frequency is running at 89 MHz instead of 66 MHz (which would only be possible with a 1/2 AGP divider that the 440BX does not support, unfortunately).

So, yeah, switching to FSB 100, would have two consequences:
1. Your CPU frequency would drop down to 700 MHz (a 15% performance hit at most, even if we consider the fact that RAM speed will also drop to 100 MHz - and this is only for CPU bound scenarios).
2. The AGP bus would again run at the default 66 MHz, which Voodoo cards will really appreciate 😀

Cheers you (and Doornkaat). I don't have an Intel board, but I do have a VIA board, and I don't much like this chipset because it has its issues. I had to replace the bios chip once with a brand new one, and the onboard sound chip is not working. I also found a special driver for the Voodoo 4500 for VIA chipsets, and will give that one a try. It is funny though that Porsche Unleashed works fine in windowed mode after a user patch. But I will try to set the FSB back to 100 and see what it does. My hardware is overkill for the games I play anyway, so it will be fine.

Reply 5 of 6, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see. Well, if you have a VIA chipset, you could still have the same problem as with 440BX. For example, VIA Apollo Pro+, just like 440BX, only has 1/1 and 2/3 AGP bus dividers. So when overclocking the FSB to 133 MHz, the AGP will run at 89 MHz.
However, if you are on Apollo Pro 133, this one supports 133 MHz FSB natively, so it has the 1/2 AGP divider, in which case your problem has a different cause. If that's the case, I would try different VIA 4in1 drivers, disabling AGP 2X, installing the AGP driver in normal mode instead of turbo mode, etc.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 6 of 6, by Epirean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2020-08-14, 14:54:

I see. Well, if you have a VIA chipset, you could still have the same problem as with 440BX. For example, VIA Apollo Pro+, just like 440BX, only has 1/1 and 2/3 AGP bus dividers. So when overclocking the FSB to 133 MHz, the AGP will run at 89 MHz.
However, if you are on Apollo Pro 133, this one supports 133 MHz FSB natively, so it has the 1/2 AGP divider, in which case your problem has a different cause. If that's the case, I would try different VIA 4in1 drivers, disabling AGP 2X, installing the AGP driver in normal mode instead of turbo mode, etc.

I checked the manual of my board, it is the MS-6309 with the Apollo Pro 133A, so turning down the FSB won't make a difference you think?

I also noticed that it says it supports UDMA 100 and 133, but my harddisk is only running in mode 4 (66) and benchmarks confirm this. However, nowhere in the BIOS can I choose the UDMA mode, I can only turn it on or off. I think this mainboard is not in a good shape 🙁

I also really don't get why the freeze isn't happening while racing in game, so not in the menus, as if it has problems in the 2D DirectX rendering part, or why no freeze at all happens while in menus in windowed mode 🤣. Very confusing.

Ah well, I will do a new clean install with different VIA drivers, see if that helps. (My Ghost images are all with the drivers installed ). I will also test this Voodoo card in a Pentium 4 423 system I have laying around, to see if the combination with the motherboard is the issue. Thanks a lot, at least I have new things to try now.

bloodem wrote on 2020-08-14, 14:54:

EDIT:
Ok I tried a few things, but nothing helped. I did a reinstall and used very old VIA drivers (4.26), did AGP on normal mode instead of turbo in the installer, and out AGP on 1x in the bios and in the 3DFX driver, but the same problem persists. I will try the card in my 423 socket machine, see what it does there, but I guess there is a hardware fault or something with my card?