VOGONS

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

There is an issue I have been having for a long time now when playing Dark Seed II on my Windows 98 computer. Whenever the characters start talking, the voices crack and skip over most of the dialogue. In other words, the characters' voices do not play over the whole sentences. Only on some occasions do the voices play entirely. The music plays normal and the issue is not present in the cutscenes. I've been trying to the find solutions on the web, but no dice.

That is until I found out that one way to correct this issue was to edit the file called wavemix.ini. In it, I had to change the values for Remix, Goodwavepos, WaveBlockLen, and SamplesPerSec. Here's the settings I have based on the SB16 settings:

Remix=1
GoodWavePos=0
WaveBlocks=5
WaveBlockLen=4096
SamplesPerSec=22

After changing the settings and starting the game, the problem seem to improve just slightly. The voices now play a second longer instead of just a quarter of a second, but still does not play over an entire sentence. To help you get an idea of the issue, I have attached a recording to this post.

Here are my system specs:

Dell Dimension XPS t500
Windows 98 SE
512 MB RAM
Pentium III 1 GHz
AWE64 Gold ISA

I would like to add that I had a previous Dell computer with a PCI sound blaster and I never had any sound issues on that machine.

Can anyone help me with this?

Attachments

• Filename
    Recording (3).m4a
    File size
    641.05 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception