VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am kinda stumped by this one. I've never had an issue like this before.

3dMark03 and 05 bring up the small title window and just sit there and never go past that.
Taks Manager shows it using 50% CPU usage. I can leave it there for hours and it never progresses.

3dMark2001 SE works just fine.

System specs:
CPU: Pentium 4 S478 Gallatin 3.2Ghz
2GB DDR400
Video HIS Radeon HD4670 AGP with Catalyst 12.4 (latest AGP hotfix drivers - 10.7 and 12.3 had same issue)
128GB SATA SSD
Windows XP SP3 with all updates (base SP2 and base SP3 had the same issue)

This is a fresh install of XP. Nothing else installed on it except drivers.

What am I missing?

(Solution)
I didn't have the newest versions of 03 and 05.
Downloaded the newest versions from Futuremark and they worked.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-09-04, 22:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... did a clean install of XP SP3 from different media and 3dmark03 will still not work. Still stuck at the initial small logo screen.

Guess my next step is to download 3dmark03 again .. maybe something in the installer is corrupted even though it installed without any errors.

I really doubt that will fix it but I am pretty much out of other ideas.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried disabling Hyperthreading. No change except task manager shows the CPU pegged at 100% since the second threads isn't there.

I haven't tried with a different video card. I guess that is my next step. I can pop in different ATI card as well as different nVidia cards. to do some more testing.

Doesn't make any sense though.... you would think that this would have been mentioned in reviews of these cards back in the day if this were an issue.

I think I will try 06 as well and see if that works.

I guess I should also test with some real games. dxdiag works though so you would think that it should just work. Maybe there is something wrong with the card... makes no sense though really as it can run for hours on 3dmark 2001 se looping the demo.... and the card barely even gets warm.

I also haven't tried different RAM. Maybe I have a bad stick of RAM.... would think that I would get some other symptoms though if that were the case.

Also thought maybe 03 and 05 required a sound card to be installed so I put in an Audigy 2 ZS and installed the drivers... no difference.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Testing RAM with HCI Memtest and it looks good so far. Going to let it run overnight.

Also installed Coretemp to verify CPU speed and it is running at 3.2Ghz and the temp is getting up to 50C so that is fine as well.

Tried the Catzilla 1.4 benchmark and, while it did run, it was super slow and the video output was not what it was supposed to be... not sure if it was because it was running so slow or because the AGP hotfix drivers don't support something it needs.

Will try more things later today if I have time.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 17, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had similar problems with later o.s. and partially solved installing an early version of the bench (not the latest) and/or disabling with the command line the systeminfo. I don't know but it might be that the latest versions were someway different in the systeminfo logic that sometimes gave me problems (for example in Win 8.1).

Reply 7 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the tip. I just tried it and it didn't help though.

HCI memtest also did 11 passes on the RAM and didn't find anything so RAM has been ruled out.

Going to try a different video card now.

If that doesn't help, I'm going to stick the 4670 in another computer and try it out.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so I removed the HD4670 and uninstalled the drivers and put in my 7950GT and installed the latest XP drivers.... and 3dmark03 works.

Now to try the HD4670 in a different system.... should have a C2D system around that has AGP... I think.

This system with either card is severely CPU limited. Both the HD4670 and the 7950GT scored 19,343 in 3DMark 2001 SE.

The 7950GT didn't have the weird single digit hiccups in the one test like the HD4670 did though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 17, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have You tried installing latest Directx for xp?

https://www.oldapps.com/directx.php?system=Windows_XP

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 10 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure. I used WSUS offline to install all the updates and it did update DirectX.

Still working on getting a Core2 based AGP setup going to see if that helps. Just haven't had time to finish putting it together yet.

I'm almost thinking that the drivers for the video card are wanting something that the Pentium 4 CPU doesn't have.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 17, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt that even the latest driver available for the 4670 would require more than SSE2, tops.
Right before I sold my 3850 AGP, I plugged it into a PIII system for a round of benchmarking and it ran 3D05/03 just fine. Can't remember if I used the latest driver or something older, but it definitely was a lot more picky than my x1950 AGP.

Could it be some sort of weird BIOS incompatibilty? I once had a Dell machine that wouldn't take video cards any newer than the GTX 700 series without first updating the UEFI. Of course, this machine would just hang at the Dell splash screen without the UEFI update, so it was a bit of a different situation than yours.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 12 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess it could be a BIOS incompatibility. Not sure why that would make sense though. Strange that it runs 3DMark 2001 SE fine but just sits there on 03 and 05. Maybe some BIOS setting? I did change the AGP Aperature to 256MB from the default 128MB.

Anyway, setting up XP SP3 on an ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA with my original Q6600 G0 that I had overclocked to 3.84Ghz on air for quite a few years on the excellent Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

Edit:
Ok, so 03 still just sits there. Didn't even try 05.

Decided to install 06.
Version 1.10 just sits there.
Updated to version 1.20 and it works.

I wonder what in the world is causing 03 and 05 to not work.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anybody else have an AGP HD4670 they can test to see if 3DMark 2003 or 2005 will run?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 17, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly, but I have an AGP HD4650 on my P3Tualatin setup and 3DMark 01, 03 and 05 are running fine on Windows XP.

An X1600 runs faster in some tests, but that's another story...

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-28, 20:35:

Video HIS Radeon HD4670 AGP with Catalyst 12.4 (latest AGP hotfix drivers - 10.7 and 12.3 had same issue)

I believe 12.6 is the last version, maybe that works?

I've archived all AGP hotfix drivers for XP I could find here:
http://cloud.lichtmetzger.de/d/60ab19d9129b497f9c82/

And here are some for Vista:
http://cloud.lichtmetzger.de/d/efb428421cd14f8c8bd2/

Last edited by schmatzler on 2021-12-27, 05:11. Edited 1 time in total.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 15 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll try the 12.6. I already have it downloaded... first time I tried them though they didn't pick up my card. I also found it strange that the file name no longer had the hotfix moniker.

There are actually quite a few more hotfix drivers than the ones you have there.

I plan on uploading all of them to vogonsdrivers in the not too distant future.

Edit: 12.6 doesn't update the video drivers.. only the HDMI audio driver because it doesn't detect my card. I was able to manually update to the 12.6 video drivers manually though.

It didn't help 3dmark03.

I was also able to manually install the 13.4 legacy video drivers. Works fine in 01 SE. 03 is still a no-go though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 17, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-04, 03:56:

I was also able to manually install the 13.4 legacy video drivers. Works fine in 01 SE. 03 is still a no-go though.

Oh, that's nice to know, that 13.4 also works with these cards.

I know that I don't have all of these AGP hotfix drivers. The ones I have were still very hard to find, though, since AMD removed the official downloads for them.

Sorry I can't help you with your issue, though. 🙁 All of the benchmarks work fine with my card. Maybe I got lucky.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 17 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok... so I got both 03 and 05 working.

Apparently the versions I had were old versions.

I downloaded the newest versions from Futuremark and they both work.

Now I feel lame for not checking that before. Oh well, at least I finally figured it out.

Before checking I installed Crysis and it ran so I figured there couldn't be anything wrong with the card itself.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK