VOGONS

First post, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi , trying to run Slam Tilt on my cyrix 266 windows 98 machine with isa Reveal SC400 rev2 soundcard (drivers for win95 installed and sound works).

It runs great no problem except the sound has a lot of latency (when i press flipper button for example i hear the sound after 1 sec or longer) , anyone know if i can do something about it? maybe is because it has not hardware buffer and is emulated with the drivers? thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to make sure that you have DirectX 3 installed. It might also pay to re-install DirectX 3 even if you do. I have Encore's Pinball Madness 4 compilation which includes Slam Tilt, and it does not appear to have a DirectX redistribution package included (although it could be buried in the cabinet files). There is no prompt concerning DirectX when I install the game, but it is required.

Reply 2 of 7, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the help! i have directx 9 installed right now, i will try to find a way to remove it so i can install an older version but i don't think it's easy without reinstalling windows.
Also for the info i have installed these drivers for the soundcard :

1. SC400 Rev 2.0 (Pro16) Windows 95 Driver
Creation date : 27 Oct 1995 #Kiat(Include SingleModeDMA support)
Release date : 27 Oct 1995 #Kiat
Disk Label : S42W95_1027

they work ok including fm and gameport.

Reply 3 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No need to remove DirectX 9. Just (re-)install DirectX 3, and Windows and DirectX will install any missing files.
Hopefully you have the DirectX 3 package on your CD-ROM, but if not, any complete FalconFly mirror should have a multitude of DirectX versions.
Here is the FalconFly Archive List:
http://www.falconfly.de/3dfxarchive.htm
And here is one of the DirectX archives:
http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/directx.html

Reply 6 of 7, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DxDiag says that my card doesnt support hardware buffers , that must be the cause of the lag 😒

Attachments

• IMG_4653[1].JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4653[1].JPG
    File size
    75.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 7, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Changed the old soundcard with a Sound Blaster Vibra 16 CT4180 and sound works as it should now, no more latency problem, lost the real OPL3 for dos games with the old card but the sb16 sound nice too from what i heard so far , works alright in dos with creative CTCM.