VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am setting up a weird multi-boot setup using Norton PartitonMagic and BootMagic 8,
When I use PartitionMagic to set up the logical partitions in the extended partition, it sees them fine, but windows NT says they are unallocated, and vice versa.
The drive is 120GB, and the BIOS and controller work with it just fine.
I have NT4, 95, 98, and 2000, any NT based OS can see partitions made by each other, but not ones made by 9x based, and vice versa.

Attachments

• 9x.png
    Filename
    9x.png
    File size
    9.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    9x not seeing partitions made in NT's Partition Magic
    File license
    Public domain
  • nt.png
    Filename
    nt.png
    File size
    12.15 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NT's Partition Magic showing how they should look
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is mostly normal behavior
Win9x cant read NTFS partitions, which is why it comes up as unallocated.
Likewise NT4 can't read Fat32 partitions.

Dos/Win9x also struggles to understand more then 1 primary partition which I imagine could be causing issues as I would expect both your Win9x and 2k installs to be able to see your data partition.

Reply 2 of 4, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Extended partition type have some incomptibilities accross operating systems, best bet is just to make max 4 primary partitions, DOS, Win9x nd WinNT versions all see them, even if they do not understand how to read them. And if your extended partition is after 1024 Track boundary, more problems will arise. DOS before 7.1 and WinNT before 2000, are not LBA aware.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 3 of 4, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-09-15, 08:40:
This is mostly normal behavior Win9x cant read NTFS partitions, which is why it comes up as unallocated. Likewise NT4 can't rea […]
Show full quote

This is mostly normal behavior
Win9x cant read NTFS partitions, which is why it comes up as unallocated.
Likewise NT4 can't read Fat32 partitions.

Dos/Win9x also struggles to understand more then 1 primary partition which I imagine could be causing issues as I would expect both your Win9x and 2k installs to be able to see your data partition.

That's not the issue, at least in this scenario. In normal circumstances 9x displays NTFS as unknown and not unallocated, and same with NT4 and FAT32.

The double primary partition is invisible to 9x, and shows up as an OS/2 partition or something

Reply 4 of 4, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-09-15, 10:23:

Extended partition type have some incomptibilities accross operating systems, best bet is just to make max 4 primary partitions, DOS, Win9x nd WinNT versions all see them, even if they do not understand how to read them. And if your extended partition is after 1024 Track boundary, more problems will arise. DOS before 7.1 and WinNT before 2000, are not LBA aware.

Gah, that's annoying. I wanted to have 5 partitions, NT, 95, 98, 2000, and a shared DATA partition between each OS. is there some way to get 9x to see NTs extended partitions right (or vice versa)?