VOGONS

First post, by hansor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have laptop with 1.5MB RAM running Windows 3.11.
When I try to run "MS-DOS prompt" inside of Windows 3.11 I get out of memory errors and dialog about creation of custom .pif file.

How to configure such .pif file in order to run DOS windows inside of Win 3.11?

ps. I have 4MB swap file enabled.

Reply 1 of 3, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just use real DOS for DOS stuff if you're using Windows 3.11. The only thing you usually gain from running DOS programs at the DOS prompt in versions of Windows lower than 95 is added instability.

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote on Today, 05:48:

Just use real DOS for DOS stuff if you're using Windows 3.11. The only thing you usually gain from running DOS programs at the DOS prompt in versions of Windows lower than 95 is added instability.

I second that . I will add that, IMHO, unless you have software that requires Windows 3.1 or 3.11 to run (and does not run under Windows 9x), or have nostalgia for it (both valid reasons), I don't much see the point in running any Windows version below 95 for gaming purposes . that's just my 2 cents .

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

..wasn't there a Covox-based Sound Blaster emulator driver for Windows 3.1x ? 😁

Anyway, don't underestimate the powers of WfW 3.11.
It contains backports of Chicago project and was more compatible than the Windows NT of the time (pre-NT4).

In fact, according to an issue of Byte, Snowball was the quickest, best performing Windows for a while (outperfoming Win NT).
- If both FastDisk and the Cache were enabled only, of course. 😀

The windowed DOS-prompt has seamless mouse support, also. If memory serves.

Edit: I have to check my stuff for that article of Byte. May take a day or two.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//