VOGONS

First post, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking for this piece of software I saw in 1993 or 1994...
It featured some networking product by Microsoft - safe bet WfW.
Among its files, there was at least one .MMM file, and a bunch of .WAV files.
It ran under Windows 3.1, displayed some animation (yes, a cartoonish animation rather than actual video, I think there was no Video for Windows involved), and played the sound clips: "...we can easily share files and printers, send and receive electronic mail..."
Any help finding it?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aren't *.MMM files included in Windows Graphical Environment with Multimedia Extensions 1.0 (aka Win 3.0 MME) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN7wICVD30o
http://toastytech.com/guis/win3mme.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, .MMM files were included in various Microsoft's products from that era, I've found some on "Microsoft Works - Gateway 2000 Edition" CD-ROM from 1991.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-09-23, 11:56:

Indeed, .MMM files were included in various Microsoft's products from that era, I've found some on "Microsoft Works - Gateway 2000 Edition" CD-ROM from 1991.

Thanks for the information! I really like Works. My father and me still use it to write letters some and now.
Before MS decided to let it die, it was an alternative for small businesses, too. All the usual features of an advanced text processor were avaiable.
Plus, the WPS file format didn't provide nearly as much as trouble as the many DOC files floating around (then; now they migrated to DOX).
I guess MS feared that Works would make for a better, more professional presentation that the ribbon-ified MS Office of the time. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//