VOGONS

First post, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone recommend a free and/or open source ISO file creator and burner? Got loads of CDs and DVDs I burned 20 to 25 years ago I want to copy (collections of programs I downloaded from BBS and web sites in the 90s that will be useful for vintage systems that I want to salvage before all the old disks degrade too much). Trying to get out of the habit of using pirated software as much as I can 😀 Not too concerned if I need to run software on an older version of Windows.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ImgBurn's not open source but satisfies a lot of the reading/making/burning needs, though I hear bad things about some later versions having crapware (I haven't updated in years) and its reading ability/ccd creation isn't as good as CloneDVD when it comes to those pesky Safedisc games and super old CDs (try both, because results may vary).

Tread the open source line and you'll run into CLI stuff like dd/ddrescue, mkisofs, etc. and some buggy programs like infrarecorder and brasero. I never had much luck with them personally 10 years ago.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Open source isn't a deal breaker, it's just a concept I like. I'll have a look at ImgBurn and see if it meets my needs. Thanks.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An alternative is CDBurnerXP. Requires .NET and Windows 2000+ but is updated whereas imgburn is not.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm. Downloaded ImgBurn and ZoneAlarm detected it as infected, and deleted it. CDBurnerXP looks OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

Reply 5 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed CDBurnerXP, and it looks perfect for my needs. Will find out later, when I dig out my Win95 and NT app backups (if the discs are still viable).

Reply 6 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use CDBurnerXP and have for years. It is a pretty nice program.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using Nero for many years, but that is the last pirated app to be replaced on my main PC. And CDBurnerXP uses so much less space on disc 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-23, 02:27:

hmm. Downloaded ImgBurn and ZoneAlarm detected it as infected, and deleted it.

If you get the installer from the official imgburn website it comes bundled with adware. But the installer on most mirrors (e.g. MajorGeeks) is adware free.

Reply 10 of 11, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used cdrdao (part of cdrtools) with great success, so far.
It is mostly used for iso files or bin/toc file pairs. The slightly more common bin/cue format is also supported to some extent.
Virtually all Linux distributions ship with cdrtools and there is a whole zoo of GUI front-ends. There should be windows versions, too.
Actually, IIRC, InfraRecorder is not much more than a cdrtools front-end.

Reply 11 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-09-23, 05:08:
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-23, 02:27:

hmm. Downloaded ImgBurn and ZoneAlarm detected it as infected, and deleted it.

If you get the installer from the official imgburn website it comes bundled with adware. But the installer on most mirrors (e.g. MajorGeeks) is adware free.

I downloaded it from MajorGeeks, they are usually a very good source. CDBurnerXP does what I need without being overly bloated.