VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have DOS 6.22 loaded on my computer with NIC and Sound Blaster AWE64 drivers.
And it works fine.

I just performed an install of Win311 WFW on this computer.
The install went fine.

After reboot I tried to start Windows 311.
The startup screen displayed for a few minutes then the display went black.

I don’t know what is happening because I have a blank screen and the hard drive LED stops working.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-09-29, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by darkstar79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-09-29, 15:40:
I have DOS 6.22 loaded on my computer with NIC and Sound Blaster AWE64 drivers. And it works fine. […]
Show full quote

And it works fine.

I just performed an install of Win311 WFW on this computer.
The install went fine.

After reboot I tried to start Windows 311.
The startup screen displayed for a few minutes then the display went black.

I don’t know what is happening because I have a blank screen.

At the DOS Prompt type:
win /b

This will create c:\bootlog.txt when Windows starts.

It records each step of startup,and what Windows succeeds in installing during the startup. If Windows fails to start,
you can see how many tasks it completed. Knowing where it stopped can indicate a bad command, bad file or a possible hardware conflict.

Reply 2 of 14, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay this is the only failure I see.
Everything else loaded fine.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 14, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I removed the old install and performed a NEW install with NO network drivers.
But I still have the same results ( Blank screen ) when trying to start Win311.

The Win311 Bootlog.txt shows the Startup stops after loading the Display driver.
Looks like the display driver was the problem all along.

I have an S3 trio64 PCI video card.

How can I fix this ?

Attachments

Reply 10 of 14, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try running setup and switching to the normal 640x480x16 VGA mode driver. I think you might just have an issue with your video driver. If there's any issue with it, Windows 3.1 will happily show garbage on the screen, or more likely, lock up before hitting the desktop or just show a black screen. It's not going to say the driver is an issue.

You can run setup.exe from the C:\windows directory in DOS, or just edit the system.ini file by hand in DOS. In general, if Windows 3.1 starts puking at load time it's probably a driver issue and you should check the win.ini and system.ini file for anything new and try REMing stuff out.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does this thing have a real MPU-401, like an SB16 has?
If not, SB16 drivers for Windows 3.1 will try to initialize the MPU-401 over and over for a while.
The display may stay black for a minute or so.
Encountered this in Virtual PC 200x a while ago.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 14, by steevf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-05, 02:19:
Does this thing have a real MPU-401, like an SB16 has? If not, SB16 drivers for Windows 3.1 will try to initialize the MPU-401 […]
Show full quote

If not, SB16 drivers for Windows 3.1 will try to initialize the MPU-401 over and over for a while.

How where you able to diagnose that issue?
I'm having similar weird issues with a recent Wfw3.11 install where upon the first startup, all background processes stall and a command window will hang for about 5-10 minutes when launching it. But after 5 or 10 minutes or so, everything works fine. The command window comes to life and all the background processes start working. It's as if nothing happened.
And considering I do have an MPU-401 on there I wonder now if it's related.
But how did you find out it was trying to initialized it over and over again?

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
steevf wrote on 2020-10-05, 03:07:
How where you able to diagnose that issue? I'm having similar weird issues with a recent Wfw3.11 install where upon the first st […]
Show full quote
Does this thing have a real MPU-401, like an SB16 has? If not, SB16 drivers for Windows 3.1 will try to initialize the MPU-401 […]
Show full quote

I'm having similar weird issues with a recent Wfw3.11 install where upon the first startup, all background processes stall and a command window will hang for about 5-10 minutes when launching it. But after 5 or 10 minutes or so, everything works fine. The command window comes to life and all the background processes start working. It's as if nothing happened.

Well, to be honest, I don't by 100%. 😅 - Just remembered a related issue with Virtual PC from long ago.
As it turns out, I made a little tutorial in 2010 for Virtual PC: Howto: Installing Sound Blaster 16 drivers for Windows 3.1 in Virtual PC
That's long ago by now, and sadly I can't remember all the details anymore. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by steevf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-05, 16:24:
Well, to be honest, I don't by 100%. :sweatdrop: - Just remembered a related issue with Virtual PC from long ago. As it turns ou […]
Show full quote
steevf wrote on 2020-10-05, 03:07:
How where you able to diagnose that issue? I'm having similar weird issues with a recent Wfw3.11 install where upon the first st […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Well, to be honest, I don't by 100%. 😅 - Just remembered a related issue with Virtual PC from long ago.
As it turns out, I made a little tutorial in 2010 for Virtual PC: Howto: Installing Sound Blaster 16 drivers for Windows 3.1 in Virtual PC
That's long ago by now, and sadly I can't remember all the details anymore. 😅

Well, it is a fair assumption. I did find out what the issue was with mine. IRQ conflict with, the MPU-401. It's a "plug-n-play" card that you have to configure with a software tool. Apparently it was defaulting to 7 instead of 9 or 2. The parallel port wants 7 and it doesn't like sharing with anyone but the other parallel port.