VOGONS

First post, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could I ask what settings people are using for Unreal/Klingon Honor Guard?
Having trouble getting any decent framerate, but that might be down to the P3 750MHz CPU I'm using with it! Such a CPU hungry card!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-05, 01:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's your idea of decent framerate? Don't tell me it's 60fps because that's not how UnrealEngine rolled for everyone on 1999 hardware... i've only seen the PCX2 ever hit 60 in those on a Pentium 4 system.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-10-04, 00:28:

What's your idea of decent framerate? Don't tell me it's 60fps because that's not how UnrealEngine rolled for everyone on 1999 hardware... i've only seen the PCX2 ever hit 60 in those on a Pentium 4 system.

True, modern framerates have spoiled me, it's just odd Honor Guard looks and plays better on straight up software mode

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PowerVR PCX2 doesn't have blending functions so of course it's going to look wrong. Lightmap blending is approximated with alphas, and all other blended stuff like fire etc. are suddenly alpha blended. The funny (possibly gaussian) alpha channel bilinear filtering makes that look even more blockly with more halos.

KHG through the PowerVR SGL driver was a faster option than software rendering at one point in time (definitely not the later second P3 point in time)...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-10-06, 00:29:

PowerVR PCX2 doesn't have blending functions so of course it's going to look wrong. Lightmap blending is approximated with alphas, and all other blended stuff like fire etc. are suddenly alpha blended. The funny (possibly gaussian) alpha channel bilinear filtering makes that look even more blockly with more halos.

KHG through the PowerVR SGL driver was a faster option than software rendering at one point in time (definitely not the later second P3 point in time)...

It's just that I remember Quake 2 looking really good on my Matrox m3d back in the day. Better than it could ever have looked with software rendering.

I ended up selling the m3d later though, when I got a Voodoo card, since they had come down in price.