VOGONS

First post, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a strange problem with some games like Lands of Lore and System Shock. It feels like my mouse cursor is stuck in an invisible box and i cannot move i freely across the screen. It goes to about the middle horizontally and cannot move past that. Has anyone experienced such issues ? i tried ctmouse, the one included in Philscomputerlab 's dos starter pack, but my pc freezes when it tries to load the driver, so i use mouse.com instead and it works perfectly..except for these cases.
Here is a link to a clip of the issue https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... hdDVOQEAg7

Best regards,
JP

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This sounds familiar. Have you tried this?
Mouse2KV By Vlad R. & Peter

Incidentally, Lands of Lore is supported by ScummVM and you might consider using that instead. And you might consider System Shock Enhanced Edition.

Reply 2 of 9, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-06, 22:56:

Incidentally, Lands of Lore is supported by ScummVM and you might consider using that instead. And you might consider System Shock Enhanced Edition.

Thank you for the suggestion, i will try it today after work. I played Lands of Lore on ScummVM but I recently configured my DOS machine and I'm still benchmarking different games on it. Lands of Lore runs perfectly aside from the mouse problem.
Also, turns out the issue with System Shock is only on the menu screen, when i launch the game the mouse is not restricted.

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 3 of 9, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
john_popani wrote on 2020-10-07, 05:57:
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-06, 22:56:

Thank you for the suggestion, i will try it today after work. I played Lands of Lore on ScummVM but I recently configured my DOS machine and I'm still benchmarking different games on it. Lands of Lore runs perfectly aside from the mouse problem.
Also, turns out the issue with System Shock is only on the menu screen, when i launch the game the mouse is not restricted.

Hey, I tried it but an error pops up, regarding lack of conventional memory.

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 4 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mouse2KV is for use with running DOS programs in the Windows 2000/XP NTVDM. NOT for use in native DOS.

It's not especially clear what the original poster @john_popani is doing, but the "DOS" forum this thread is in is for getting old DOS games working in newer operating systems.

If you're trying to get a DOS game working in DOS running natively on vintage hardware, then the forum you want is Marvin -> Software. And I will happily move it there.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 9, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-07, 22:40:

Mouse2KV is for use with running DOS programs in the Windows 2000/XP NTVDM. NOT for use in native DOS.

It's not especially clear what the original poster @john_popani is doing, but the "DOS" forum this thread is in is for getting old DOS games working in newer operating systems.

If you're trying to get a DOS game working in DOS running natively on vintage hardware, then the forum you want is Marvin -> Software. And I will happily move it there.

Aha, i understand, running DOS games on vintage hardware is exactly what i am doing, I'd greatly appreciate the transfer of my post.
Thanks

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 7 of 9, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are other mouse drivers you might want to consider trying, Cutemouse (http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/) is pretty popular.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BinaryDemon wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:39:

There are other mouse drivers you might want to consider trying, Cutemouse (http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/) is pretty popular.

john_popani wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:32:

i tried ctmouse, the one included in Philscomputerlab 's dos starter pack

I keep losing track of the various versions of CuteMouse and their various advantages and disadvantages.

Reply 9 of 9, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:57:
BinaryDemon wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:39:

john_popani wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:32:

i tried ctmouse, the one included in Philscomputerlab 's dos starter pack

I keep losing track of the various versions of CuteMouse and their various advantages and disadvantages.

Oh, i see, I'll just have to play around with the different versions and see which one works.

Thank you all for the help.

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22