VOGONS

First post, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Revisiting a classic on twin Voodoo 2s ( Celeron 433 Socket 370 + SLI Voodoo 2 - build/rebuild log - "Slotket" ).

Whilst installing the game, I noticed a few significant changes on the version that was in the drive (1.4 Patched Asia/Pacific version in DVD case).

Had to actually pull out the big box Battlezone version ( 1.0 ), install (took a couple of grainy pics, below), and play the first couple of missions to get a handle on what was different. Has anyone else noticed this?

Install screen 1.4

Missing "Tank" Animation splash screen

20201016-185023.jpg

Missing voiceover about NASA, ceremonies in the Rose Garden, and murders
Missing Saturn V launch video

20201016-184816.jpg

For me, these were quite a significant omission. The ominous music & backstory helps set the scene. Upon entering the game in the 1.4 pre-patched version, all you see is the "action style" intro. The feeling of the game changes.

1.4 Disc

Missing "AVI" directory
└Apollo15.avi
└bg.avi
└dreign.avi
└dreigne.avi
└netstorm.avi
Missing Dark Reign demo

Ingame 1.4

Mission begin splash screen - is this missing? (Stylized box-crosshairs with planet in background)
Voiceover/narration begins before graphics kick in

Large assets patch 1.4

Washed out/muddy shadowing - anyone else see this?
Mouse is SLOW. 20 "flicks" to move the ship 180

Has anyone noticed anything else?
Is anyone also particular about replicating their earlier experiences?

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting finds.

As for replicating the original gameplay experience, I recently had a similar situation with Gothic 2 where the expansion pack makes significant changes to the game balance and the character development system. Nowadays, most digital stores have the expansion integrated, so the only way to experience Gothic 2 classic is to use fan-made mods. Unless you own the original discs that is.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 3, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-10-16, 08:45:

Interesting finds.

As for replicating the original gameplay experience, I recently had a similar situation with Gothic 2 where the expansion pack makes significant changes to the game balance and the character development system. Nowadays, most digital stores have the expansion integrated, so the only way to experience Gothic 2 classic is to use fan-made mods. Unless you own the original discs that is.

It's in a way frustrating, but I expect enjoying the original gameplay experience is a very esoteric pastime? Gothic 2 is still on "The List"... worth a playthrough?

Reply 3 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alienmannequin wrote on 2020-10-24, 09:30:

Gothic 2 is still on "The List"... worth a playthrough?

Absolutely. Gothic 2 is a fantastic action-RPG, and its carefully hand-crafted gameworld is well worth exploring.

If you have the option to do so, I would suggest playing the game without the NOTR expansion on your first run. Otherwise, it may come off as ridiculously hard.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi