VOGONS

First post, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running MS-DOS 6.22 on a Pentium-S 120mhz with 32mb RAM, off a 2gb compact flash card. Vibra 16 SB16 compatible card installed, yadda yadda. Here are pictures of my autoexec.bat, config.sys and mem report.

Not sure what the problem is, would love help. Thanks!

EDIT: Tried to make a boot disk, it complained it couldn't find dblspace.

Attachments

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-10-27, 21:12:

That doesn't make any sense; in 6.22 dblspace was replaced by drvspace. How exactly did you try to make the boot disk?

Reply 2 of 4, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-27, 21:28:
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-10-27, 21:12:

That doesn't make any sense; in 6.22 dblspace was replaced by drvspace. How exactly did you try to make the boot disk?

Through the Betrayal at Krondor installer.

EDIT According to this, http://www.sierrahelp.com/Documents/TechDocum … stall_Guide.pdf

BaK needs 604,160 bytes conventional AND 1,048,576 bytes of EMS. SO I guess the question now is, how do I get that much EMS without losing too much conventional memory?

2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-10-27, 21:38:

Through the Betrayal at Krondor installer.

I can't imagine why it would produce something that would produce an error message about missing dblspace. There are many other ways of creating a boot disk if you want to go that route.

BaK needs 604,160 bytes conventional AND 1,048,576 bytes of EMS. SO I guess the question now is, how do I get that much EMS without losing too much conventional memory?

It seem to me that removing the word NOEMS from your config.sys would be a good idea for starters.

You should also have a single line that says DOS=HIGH,UMB instead of two lines. (It should be after HIMEM but before EMM386, as in https://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm .) You also probably don't need CTMMSYS for Betrayal at Krondor, or SETVER.

Start with that and see if that fixes the problem. If not, please post screenshots of "mem /c /p". That is more helpful than just the output of "mem".

Reply 4 of 4, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually sorted it out. I had to play around with memmaker manually for a bit, there was a bunch of crap it wasn't actually loading HIGH for no apparent reason. Now I have enough of both. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: ALSO! Krondor was designed with MSDOS 5 in mind, might be why it's looking for an outdated compression utility. Just in case that was gonna drive you nuts.