VOGONS

First post, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a Windows 98 PC off of ebay, and the person who installed 98 didn't click "themes" on the additional installation options when they installed 98. Is there any way to turn that on? If not, I remember on an old software collection CD I used to have that there was a program that allowed you to install plus themes without needing 98 plus. I do intend to reinstall windows 98, but I just want to use the current installation for a while, and it would be nice to know this in the future.

Reply 2 of 13, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlephZaku wrote on 2020-11-04, 22:49:

I believe if you go into Add/Remove programs, the second tab on that should be related to installed windows features and you can install it from there.

This.

I just booted up my 98SE machine and on the windows features tab you can put a check beside desktop themes and it'll install them after you click apply.

Reply 3 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a note as it is not clear from the first post, "plus" is a separate/standalone thing you install that comes on a different cd than windows. So you don't need to reinstall windows, you can install (or re-install) ms plus only. I'm pretty sure you know already that there is no "windows 98 plus", just making sure because I got this idea from the title you used.

Reply 4 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think OP is combining Win9x versions.

Win95 required Plus! installed to enable Theme support

Win98 MS decided to include it for free, to enable it go to add/remove programs Windows setup
Edit, you can see a screenshot here, it's not https so cant direct link
http://wireless.gumph.org/content/6/4/015-how … vpn-client.html

Plus! 98 does include a few extra themes, but as said this is a separate program so running setup will allow you to add/remove components

Reply 5 of 13, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-11-05, 10:20:
I think OP is combining Win9x versions. […]
Show full quote

I think OP is combining Win9x versions.

Win95 required Plus! installed to enable Theme support

Win98 MS decided to include it for free, to enable it go to add/remove programs Windows setup
Edit, you can see a screenshot here, it's not https so cant direct link
http://wireless.gumph.org/content/6/4/015-how … vpn-client.html

Plus! 98 does include a few extra themes, but as said this is a separate program so running setup will allow you to add/remove components

Yeah sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to computers from this era, the main I experience I have with win 98 was using it as a kid. I've forgotten a bit, and I'm trying to learn more. I don't really know too much about the editions of Microsoft Plus, and I thought 98SE was what "imported" theme support from Plus! for some reason.

Thanks everyone!

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All good, even those of us that grew up in this era had forgotten some pretty basic stuff until getting back into the hobby, That's 1/2 the fun!

Reply 9 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please do not share links to pirated software.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 13, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-11-30, 07:51:

Please do not share links to pirated software.

I didn't realize it would be considered piracy, it is hosted on the internet archive as well. Is it ok to link to that site?

Reply 11 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's hard to say, because it's the internet archive but otoh it's still plain piracy that Vogons doesn't condone.
Let's just leave it at "it's also on the internet archive"

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 13, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-11-30, 23:17:

It's hard to say, because it's the internet archive but otoh it's still plain piracy that Vogons doesn't condone.
Let's just leave it at "it's also on the internet archive"

I had just assumed it was considered "abandonware" at this point and didn't matter but what you've said is totally fair and I'll go with that.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks.
Sadly abandonware is not a legal term, it's a made up term to justify software piracy.
(However I wish it wiuld become a legal term)