VOGONS

First post, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have and PIII 500 MHz, 128 MB Ram, Diamond Viper V770 (AGP) 32 MB, Sound Blaster PCI128, TEKRAM P6BX-An Motherboard and 52x CD-rom, running Windows 98SE (all within the system requirements of the game). I Installed American McGee's Alice (2000) with original disks and install code. When I try to run the game with CD 2 in the drive as necessary, I get a startup window of the game then a gray screen with just my mouse-pointer and the system hangs. I looked into drivers and such, the game needs DirectX 7, I have DirectX 8.1 installed. On the game disk I found an old version of OpenGl, installed that but that did not help (I removed it in safe mode). The game needs OpenGl but that should already have been installed with de drivers that cane from the original Diamond Viper V770 installation disk. I can't find any other drivers on the internet for the V770 other than the ones I already have on disk. What can I do to get this game running ? You can't play it on any gamesplatform, so playing the original on original hardware is the only way.

Last edited by Skywatcher on 2020-11-10, 22:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you able to run other OpenGL benchmarks? I used to like OpenGL Stars.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/opengl_stars.html

Skywatcher wrote on 2020-11-10, 16:24:

What can I do to get this game running ? You can't play it on any gamesplatform, so playing the original on original hardware is the only way.

Just because you can't buy it on Steam or whatever doesn't mean you need original hardware. Considering it uses the Quake III engine, I would be very surprised if someone hasn't already persuaded it to at least run under XP. (You'll need some way to bypass the Safedisc on later operating systems, probably.)

ETA: A bit of searching turns up this old thread which isn't very helpful, but it does suggest there might be a patch somewhere? It's not on The Patches Scrolls, alas.

ETA2: Some more info is available at https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/02/09/ … n-mcgees-alice/ .

Reply 2 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Works fine for me on modern windows. I use the No CD crack though.

The game shouldn't hang your system, so if it is then that needs to be remediated.

You can also buy Alice Madness returns on Origin which includes the first game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys but I want to have the original game running on original hardware, that's what this forum section is all about right ?

You can no longer buy the complete edition on Origin with the original game included, only the sequel Alice Madness Returns. There is a workaround for it though that works. I found it here. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … s/?id=645862676

But again I want to run the original game on period correct hardware, which I have.

Last edited by Skywatcher on 2020-11-11, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 15, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using period-correct Nvidia drivers such as version 8.05 from 2001.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-11-10, 21:11:

Try using period-correct Nvidia drivers such as version 8.05 from 2001.

Thanks, I found the latest drivers for TNT2 cards on nVidia's legacy website, will try those first, but I downloaded the drivers you pointed out too.

Reply 7 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out that the pervious owner of my PC had installed the drivers for the Diamond Viper V550 and not the V770. I found and installed the correct drivers from Diamond but that did not help. Also installing the TNT2 drivers from nVidia did not help. I am not sure what do to with the nVidia Detonator drivers on Vogons, they are a bunch of dll's and help files but there's no installer or setup exe. The game still hangs the entire system and I need to do a hard reset.

Reply 8 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try running OpenGL Stars yet?

It would be very useful to determine if there was a general problem with OpenGL on your system and not a problem with just this specific game, would it not?

Reply 9 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Major Geeks said OpenGL Requires Win 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP so that's why I did not try it yet. Went ahead and downloaded and ran Stars anyway.

Benchmark worked fine, got an average FPS of 278 at 800x600 en 573 at 640x480 in the results (although on screen it says 75 and 110 FPS which seem to be more correct).

So it seems it's the game that's having issues. It's the original game from 200o on original Cd-roms with the matching key from the booklet.

Reply 11 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-11, 18:31:

I see pcgamingwiki also has a link to a patch for sound drivers. Have you tried those?

Thanks but that's a patch for installations on Win 10. The original installer of the game does not copy the audio files to the HDD on Win 10. That's not an issue on Win 98SE. The game is fully installed. I will try and capture the lines the loader shows when starting the game before it freezes, goes by very fast so I have to film it using my smartphone and then take screenshots from that.

Reply 12 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to film the loader and from that I found out the game could not execute menu.cfg, config.cfg, localized.cfg and autoexec.cfg because they were missing in the game folder on the HDD. As I had a downloaded copy of the loose files of the game from https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … s/?id=645862676 I was able to copy the config.cfg file over to my Win98 PC. The other missing cfg files were not among them. But when I launched the game again with only the config.cfg added it did start up and I could play it just fine. Not sure why the game does not install these cfg files or autogenerate at least the config.cfg though. It is even mentioned in the readme of the game to delete the config.cfg in case you accidently select screen resolutions your PC can't handle and restart the game. But anyway I got it working.

Reply 13 of 15, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am pretty sure a buddy of mine ran this on Windows 2000 with gfx acceleration back in the early 2000s without any problems. Can't give you much more information than that, though.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 14 of 15, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Drivers are here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010416023700/ht … egacy_Graphics2

Or try these:

ftp://retronn.de/driver/Diamond/DIAMOND_VIPER … _WIN_9X_NT4.exe

Are you sure it isnt an Diamond Viper V770 ULTRA card? Then you need other drivers.

here:

and here

http://johndio.com:880/ftp/drivers/Display%20 … ards/V770Ultra/

Attachments

• Filename
    v770_w9x_368.exe
    File size
    2.45 MiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15 of 15, by Skywatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robin4 wrote on 2020-11-19, 20:57:
Drivers are here: […]
Show full quote

Drivers are here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010416023700/ht … egacy_Graphics2

Or try these:

ftp://retronn.de/driver/Diamond/DIAMOND_VIPER … _WIN_9X_NT4.exe

Are you sure it isnt an Diamond Viper V770 ULTRA card? Then you need other drivers.

here:

and here

http://johndio.com:880/ftp/drivers/Display%20 … ards/V770Ultra/

Thanks, but it is not a driver issue, but just missing files that for one reason or another are not being copied during install or generated by the game when you start it up. I got it running though. I will look into the driver links you provided although I think it's a normal V770 in got.