VOGONS

First post, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased a classic IBM 5170 PC (8HMz 286 w/ 640KB+4MB RAM, VGA, SoundBlaster) and I'd like to put together a nice collection of games for it - but I haven't done much gaming on a platform this old before so I'd like some suggestions on the best games you guys remember playing that would run on such a system.

I'm also considering/searching for a 386 CPU upgrade because this would bring the system into a realm I'm much more familiar with, so feel free to list 386-era games too - just please specify that a 386 would be recommended/required.
Thanks!!

Reply 2 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my 286/16 wih 4megs of ram and Thunderboard sound card the above as well as:

Eye of the Beholder
Tornado Fighter Bomber
Sub 677(I think that was right)
Margonge
Dangerous Dave
Lemmings
Harrier
F16
MS flight Sim.
Gouls and Ghosts.
Ghost Busters
Worlfenstien
Apache Gunship
Harrier Jumpjet
Monster Bash
Anceint Eygypt
Crystal Caves
Civilisation
Colonisation
Cosmo
Ducxk Tales
Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Dusk of the Gods
Grand Pri
Jetpack
Hurl
KGB
Mario
Math and Word Resue
Manhole
Museum Madness
Pacman
Paga
Pinball
Propacy
Puff
QISLAND
Rover
Rockford
Simlife
Skyroads
Stowaway
Stratego
The Summoning
Wheel of Fortune
Towers
Wheel of Fortune

And a lot lot more..

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 4, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've always been partial to driving games - but there are so many bad ones so it can be tough to wade through. The original Need For Speed on a Pentium I platform was the first game I ever really fell in love with.
I don't like games with a lot of puzzles, where you have to "figure it out." I just get frustrated. Combat games can be fun, sometimes. I was so envious of my friend Henry as a kid - seeing Wolfenstein 3D for the first time on his 486 PC with Roland speakers and a mouse-driven GUI! My family just didn't have "nice things" like that. Anyway, the games I've enjoyed so far on my 5170 are Commander Keen 1, Galaga 94, and Tunnels of Armageddon. I'm not very good at the last one yet, but it has great AdLib sound and I can fly with a joystick which is pretty darn cool!